Innovative Marine Aquariums

Your Reef Aquarium-Oriented Reading List!

mcarroll

Tuned out there for a minute – sorry!  LOL

What a great score!   Any chance you could post a snap or two from each one just to give an idea what each one it like?  Pics they have or a good table of content shot....whatever make sense.  👍

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Oh… I had no books when this thread was made but now I have several… grab them when I see a good deal. 

5B9910DB-D244-4445-BEA2-292D8BA63904.thumb.jpeg.47d7ef1ce7ea394d84475088f79cf498.jpeg

"Clownfishes" is a great find!!!  (That collection is all pretty hot, really.)  It was the first place I ever saw a picture of clownfish that showed their piranha teeth.  Yeesh!  No wonder the little b******* could draw blood when they bit me!!   LOL-now.  Not funny then!!  😂

Very nice!!!!!  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, mcarroll said:

"Clownfishes" is a great find!!!  (That collection is all pretty hot, really.)  It was the first place I ever saw a picture of clownfish that showed their piranha teeth.  Yeesh!  No wonder the little b******* could draw blood when they bit me!!   LOL-now.  Not funny then!!  😂

Very nice!!!!!  

This is on my list. It looks amazing. It is a new up to date book with correct coral names but spendy since no used ones around yet that I saw. Over 4000 images of corals, mostly from the wild instead of neon blue LEDs. 

https://reefbuilders.com/2020/11/30/indo-pacific-corals-a-new-coral-id-book-by-joe-rowlett/

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
StinkyBunny
23 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Picked up this for $20, I have a soft spot for wrasses 

5F2CE790-6EF1-4432-9FE7-3395EE70E872.thumb.jpeg.e89e1ffe7c74a4263d56123563c53018.jpeg

His books were hard to come by for a while. One of my suppliers went out of business and I bought what she had and sold them all out at Christmas last year.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

His books were hard to come by for a while. One of my suppliers went out of business and I bought what she had and sold them all out at Christmas last year.

good to know, I may try and get some of the others... I thumbed through it and it seemed good. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

<BUMP>

Just a note in appreciation of books and their high intrinsic value to our potential learning as compared with the videos that most noobs these days seem to use for getting started.  

My favorite example of an old book is Gosse's "A Handbook to the Marine Aquarium..." from the 1850's.

More recent books (ie The Reef Aquarium series) contain a lot more detail in most cases – building on the content of older books, generally not contradicting them.  

But "more info" ≠ "better info".   Because what aquariums need in order to be successful hasn't changed since the 1850's, the "old info" in the "old book" is still mostly fine.  

I was amazed at the quality of information in the "Handbook..." above, for example.  It's dated in obvious ways – duh, it's 150+ years old – but even considering that, it's still better than whatever most noobs today use instead of reading.  (The folks using that book in 1850's had better success than most noobs "learning" from videos today....and they had to DIY sooooo much.)

The coolest part of that book may be it's short length – anyone could read that whole book in an hour or less.  (Some parts will take longer to digest though.)

Most video's are SO LAME by comparison.  Most are literally filled with someone BS'ing and only if you are lucky do they contain a TINY amount of actual info.  (Info which is often dubious in nature since the folks making the vids don't seem to read books either!)

Sadly, even if the tiny bit of info is good, you still waste SO MUCH TIME trying to get to it – I don't understand how most folks justify the amount of time they waste on videos while looking for real info.  Literally a "needle in the haystack" scenario...who would volunteer for this?

image.png.407399aeb4f9304f698fcf08f1a8683c.png

In contrast, books are generally PACKED with info and have almost no noise – reading a book is like "taking the needles out of all the haystacks". 😉  That's the whole object of using a reference book!

image.png.bac76e5cb8275bb258ae29bdc1347f0b.png

• Like 1