Coral Vue Hydros

Skimmer and tank size

Proxo

What size tank is the point of a skimmer been a "must"? I know people have ran huge tanks without them and all but just in general.
I'm looking at building a custom tank and not sure what size to go for yet or if there'd be room for a skimmer as i'll be making my own aio.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Proxo said:

What size tank is the point of a skimmer been a "must"? I know people have ran huge tanks without them and all but just in general.
I'm looking at building a custom tank and not sure what size to go for yet or if there'd be room for a skimmer as i'll be making my own aio.

I'd say it is probably the inhabitants of the tank that would be making the skimmer a "must" as opposed to size. 

Most of the "Hard to Keep" SPS set ups that I have seen use them, as they prefer pristine water I am lead to believe.

• Like 2

I'm in a DIY kind of mood as i'm bored so this is looking likely 😄
I found remembered i've a 4ft tank and a fluval fx5 filter at my mates shed but meh, 4ft too big for this place 😞

ah decisions decisions my friend lol. - tbh though, if i was doing a diy aio in the tank there prob wouldn't be enough room to house a decent skimmer anyway.
I've got that fluval one that's recommended for the evo but i don't use it as i personally think it's a headache.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Proxo said:

I'm in a DIY kind of mood as i'm bored so this is looking likely 😄
I found remembered i've a 4ft tank and a fluval fx5 filter at my mates shed but meh, 4ft too big for this place 😞

ah decisions decisions my friend lol. - tbh though, if i was doing a diy aio in the tank there prob wouldn't be enough room to house a decent skimmer anyway.
I've got that fluval one that's recommended for the evo but i don't use it as i personally think it's a headache.

I've never used a skimmer, well surface skimmer but not the same thing

second_decimal

People have been debating the usefulness of skimmers since they became a thing. I always looked at it like this, the introduction of aeration is sort of like waves in the ocean. As opposed to an air stone, skimmers are that on steroids. So +1.. then I look at the nasty sh*t a properly tuned skimmer pulls from the water column getting rid of that can’t be bad either +1. Jm2c

12 hours ago, Proxo said:

Size has very little to do with it.

It has more to do with what you keep in the tank and how you do your maintenance.

Check out my post in the all in one section for my 125 gallon.