Cultivated Reef

Replacing fish after ICH

Eloy

If you have no fish at all, 8 weeks so the ich dies off. 

If you do have fish, IMO? Take them out, treat in a separate tank, and keep the tank fallow for 8 weeks. Try to eliminate it. If you've just medicated, it may not all be gone, and would grab onto stressed fish (like new ones) and establish itself again. 

Also, be sure you quarantine the new guys this time. You don't want to let that stuff back in.

Thank you for the advice. I don't have a quarantine tank but all remaining fish are looking good. It's been a week using medication and they don't show any signs of the ich. Should I still wait another 8 weeks before introducing new fish and when I do, do I need to medicate again?

Get a quarantine. Treat your fish separately from your display, they're likely still infected with the ich under their skin, even if they seem healthy. Do NOT introduce fish without quarantining.

The 8 week fallow period is the time it takes for a tank with NO fish to have all the ich in the substrate die off. 

If you have your tank free of ich, your existing fish free of ich, and your new ones quarantined to ensure there's no ich, then no, don't treat when you add them. 

1 hour ago, Eloy said:

Thank you for the advice. I don't have a quarantine tank but all remaining fish are looking good. It's been a week using medication and they don't show any signs of the ich. Should I still wait another 8 weeks before introducing new fish and when I do, do I need to medicate again?

We need a little more info on your system set up and treatment to better help.

How did you treat the fish in your DT? Most medications for ich are not good to use in your dt.

Also filter media can remove  treatment used.

Ich only visually appears for a short time, the white spots being gone doesn't indicate that ich is gone. It has a cycle it goes through.

The parasite needs a host(fish)

The best method of treatment is done in a qt with no liverock/sand.

8 weeks no fish in the display tank because it takes 8 weeks without a host for the parasite to die.

If it doesn't die, any existing fish and new additions can/will become infected.