ReefCleaners.org

5.5 AIO chamber and pump selection on tight budget.

waldoz

My son and I finally got the go ahead.😁

Been reading a lot but I can't seem to find a basic rear chamber guide on spacing and size. This is out first diy Aio and tank.  From what I can tell 4 inch wide is good but lost after that. And pump flow is another thing. Any help and pointing in the right direction would be great.   My son wants to pay for it himself which is great but when have some time to plan it out till he gets the funds.  He also wants to stick to a 5.5 thanks!

What I would do,since I have made a few DIY all in ones,figure out your livestock choices then figure out what type of flow they like/require and go from there. Figuring out the flow will determine what pump you will be using,and how wide to make the filtration area.  

I always aim to go a little wider incase I would like to expand my coral selection when I get further into the build the equipment can be upgraded,say a skinner,bigger return pump,ato's,filters/media reactors ect ect. 

I usually go for about 4-4.5" to accommodate whatever return pump I would want and possible added equipment. 

He has already made a cardboard tank and mocked up the chambers already.  I think we were going to 3"   but yeah 4-4.5 makes more sense.   I want to find a intank media basket that might fit but might just end up making our own.  I know he wants goby but I think the tank might be too small for sand sifter.  The light is the main thing I am also thinking about.  He wants to make a DIY or a par bulb.   I would like to get him a good light he can take to the next tank size up, like an AI. Thanks for the suggestions.

3" should be good,but if you change direction on coral selection and flow demands change,you may be stuck between a rock and a hard spot. 

But depending on the fish,just browse around there is a good selection of nano fish. 

Like I said,I have a bunch of stuff I could help out with,just let me know. Something like this would be a good array for a 5g. 

20191019_002110.jpg

• Like 1

So far it looks like he wants some shrimp a fire fish and clean up crew.  I am thinking maxi jet 600 but I don't know if they are adjustable or not. But as for corals not sure prob some easy stuff at first.   We still need to learn a lot.  :)

If he wants a firefish, I would really up that to a 10gal. It should be pretty much exactly the same, maintenance-wise, but will be more stable and will provide a firefish with enough room to be content. Make sure it has a few good boltholes, they're flighty, shy creatures. A tight-fitting lid is an absolute must.

Yellow Gobies,Neon Gobies,Sharknose Gobies are all fitting for a 5g. 

I riggds this up for you. 1 Orasm Cool White,2 Cree XP royal blues,2 LGB 405 violets. I could swap the Orasm to a Semi NW to warm it up some. Definitely a crisp white with a moderate blue hue. Phone cameras just suck lol. 

20191022_191417.jpg

20191022_191845.jpg

The sicce syncra pumps are adjustable by a dial on the front. Pretty quiet and definitely reliable. The syncra 1.0 is probably double the cost of the lifeguard but I have had a .5 on an ATO and a 1.5 in use in various projects for 6-10 years. Only issue I ever had was I let the 1.5 run dry until it seized up in a bin of saltwater that evaporated fully. It was covered in salt and the impeller broke. I soaked it for a day to get the salt off and replaced the impeller and it still runs good enough to power my remora skimmer better than the suggested mj1200

5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Yellow Gobies,Neon Gobies,Sharknose Gobies are all fitting for a 5g. 

I riggds this up for you. 1 Orasm Cool White,2 Cree XP royal blues,2 LGB 405 violets. I could swap the Orasm to a Semi NW to warm it up some. Definitely a crisp white with a moderate blue hue. Phone cameras just suck lol. 

20191022_191417.jpg

20191022_191845.jpg

What power supply are you using?

https://www.stevesleds.com/Switching-Power-Supply-LRS-75-24_p_300.html

Supposedly this PSU can handle 3 StevesLed's budget drivers driving 7 leds each. I would say no more than probably 16-18 leds to leave some headroom. 

I would recommend using a Makers Basic 2up with 2 ldd's with this,if it were me. The Steves driver can only handle 25v of leds per driver. Which adds up quick.