Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ReefCleaners worm hitchhikers

Tired

image0.jpg?width=473&height=630

These came in amongst the 50+ dwarf ceriths I got from ReefCleaners. Any idea what they are? 

They extend in a very telescoping manner, like they're unfurling out of themself, instead of like they're just moving in and out like bristleworms. A pale dot travels up and down the length of each, inside. If the dot reaches the end, the worm extends the contents of the dot- a small structure like a white puff, and several antennae, like those on a eunice worm. Clearly they aren't eunice worms. They keep extending and then quickly retracting. I'm not sure if they're looking for sand or what. 

I have them in a cup until I can find out what they are. Anything I can add to help solve the mystery by keeping them out for better pics? Sand? Food? 

Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Peanut worm?

That’s what I thought when I saw them, but was waiting to see what the more experienced folks say when they weigh in.

• Like 1

I thought peanut worm, but don't they have just a trunk? This one has some kind of fancy dealie that it can extend from the very end of what I guess might be a trunk. 

3 hours ago, Tired said:

image0.jpg?width=473&height=630

These came in amongst the 50+ dwarf ceriths I got from ReefCleaners. Any idea what they are? 

They extend in a very telescoping manner, like they're unfurling out of themself, instead of like they're just moving in and out like bristleworms. A pale dot travels up and down the length of each, inside. If the dot reaches the end, the worm extends the contents of the dot- a small structure like a white puff, and several antennae, like those on a eunice worm. Clearly they aren't eunice worms. They keep extending and then quickly retracting. I'm not sure if they're looking for sand or what. 

I have them in a cup until I can find out what they are. Anything I can add to help solve the mystery by keeping them out for better pics? Sand? Food? 

SOrry about them! Looks like a snail predator, I would remove them. I am not sure what species they are. 

Oh, no worries, I got 50 healthy snails.

I'm trying to figure out if these may have actually eaten the snails, or if they just took the opportunity of the empty shell. Contemplating sticking a sacrificial cerith in there with them for a couple days and seeing if they do anything about it. If they are a predator, how often would they need to eat? 

Mouthparts photo:

D50D80C2-4493-48B2-92A2-49DC801FA995.jpeg

How convenient they took residence in those shells!  Every one I've seen (not many) was bare and got squished during rock/sand handling.

Very cool!

• Like 1