Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ID Required

Ratvan

Morning (or whatever, whereever)

So I was doing my usual inspection of the tank, count of the CuC, check on the possible Goby Eggs (gone by the way) this morning when i spotted something hiding itself in some of my live rock. Of course it is in the most difficult to photograph place in the tank. 

I initially thought it was an Urchin (due to the spines) but it hasn't moved (Squirted water at it with pipette) and the spines seem more like it is anchoring whatever it is within the rock as opposed to defensive spines. I'll be honest I also thought it was a Eunice Worm due to the shape but reviewing the photos can discount that I think, that and it seems to have no interest in food 

Some sort of sponge?

caf955568451d3a1427db72299bfc7b1.jpg

d1495a48bfabafd0386ad68a3e410296.jpg

MainelyReefer

I got my rock from Florida via KP Aquatics which was uncured rock from the ocean and it is covered in baby oysters.  As they have grown long spines have also grown and I’ve been able to identify them as american spiny oysters.  I know your across the pond but is there a similar HH there and did you use real ocean based liverock?  The lines look to straight to be sponge but the ocean never ceases to surprise.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

I got my rock from Florida via KP Aquatics which was uncured rock from the ocean and it is covered in baby oysters.  As they have grown long spines have also grown and I’ve been able to identify them as american spiny oysters.  I know your across the pond but is there a similar HH there and did you use real ocean based liverock?  The lines look to straight to be sponge but the ocean never ceases to surprise.

Well that was unexpected, it could be highly likely. I got the rock from a Local Reefer who had it for 10 years. 

A quick google brings up some Spondylus sub species, most seem to be Mediterranean or native to the UK waters during warmer (summer) months, they kind of look similar, I guess? lol

Some of them are beautiful and look similar to clams

I think I see a siphon in the first pic? That plus the way it's barricaded back there in a dark hole leads me to believe it is probably a sponge. Definitely very neat though. I love finding stuff like that in my aquarium. 😊

• Like 2

Yep, I'd say sponge. To answer the question in your title, yes, very likely. AFAIK sponges don't generally possess anything that would make them not pokeable. 

A eunice worm would have done something in response to the pipette, probably hid further. Bitey or not, they try to avoid notice.

3 hours ago, Tired said:

Yep, I'd say sponge. To answer the question in your title, yes, very likely. AFAIK sponges don't generally possess anything that would make them not pokeable. 

A eunice worm would have done something in response to the pipette, probably hid further. Bitey or not, they try to avoid notice.

Took me a while to understand what you're talking about. My member title right? Lol 

When I first started the Pico contest I saw a bristle worm and not knowing what it was poked it with bare fingers 😅