Cultivated Reef

Spectras RS750

spectra

3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Like I said am waiting on the ICP and may just send one into Triton and see what comes back...

Yea I wanna see these results too... 

And damn you have been in the reefing game a long while so you know what your doing.. should be able to figure out what is going on.  I mean what's a rescape going to do?? Dont see a reason for that unless the pests are out of control or you dont like the scape...

Just throwing shit out here at this point but what are you using for filtration right now? Fuge? Chemical filtration? Skimmer? Uv?  What are you having to dose? Maybe go back to the basics and run little carbon and dose 2 part only since weekly wc are not feasible on this beast..

• Like 3

Basically it sounds like you need someone to home some coral? 

I'll take an OG bounce and a cool torch or something. 

This is doing you a favor so you don't lose them. 

I can pickup tomorrow. 

I'll bring beer. 

Okay cool, bye. 

• Haha 7

Now this sounds like a solid idea..

1 minute ago, Matteo said:

I can pickup tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Yea I wanna see these results too... 

And damn you have been in the reefing game a long while so you know what your doing.. should be able to figure out what is going on.  I mean what's a rescape going to do?? Dont see a reason for that unless the pests are out of control or you dont like the scape...

Just throwing shit out here at this point but what are you using for filtration right now? Fuge? Chemical filtration? Skimmer? Uv?  What are you having to dose? Maybe go back to the basics and run little carbon and dose 2 part only since weekly wc are not feasible on this beast..

Am not happy with the looks and yeah want to rid the tank of a few things.......

17 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Basically it sounds like you need someone to home some coral? 

I'll take an OG bounce and a cool torch or something. 

I can pickup tomorrow. 

I'll bring beer. 

Okay cool, bye. 

Well go see Jeff........look on the high end tank and see the bounce in there.......it came out of my tank and well it’s the small one if you ask me.......

it’s probably 3” or more I would say. 

35 minutes ago, spectra said:

Am not happy with the looks and yeah want to rid the tank of a few things.......

Well go see Jeff........look on the high end tank and see the bounce in there.......it came out of my tank and well it’s the small one if you ask me.......

it’s probably 3” or more I would say. 

Jeff gets bounces all the time. I am open too ya know :P 

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

He's anti-hawaiian shirt

Fine I'll go to his level. 

Carrhart pants, red flannel, Danner boots, and a Sthil hat. 

Will that work? 

• Haha 5
StinkyBunny
7 hours ago, spectra said:

Yes....................yes I did but tank is almost a year old so not so new and with old rock as half was cycled it should not have been an issue.............

Like I said am waiting on the ICP and may just send one into Triton and see what comes back...............

I will have a lot of credit with the LFS so like I said a new rock scape may be in order..............plus all the corals I will give them hell...............

What kind of rock do you have in there? I've noticed that the really dense rock works MUCH better than the open porous rock. I think it denitrifies better than the porous stuff does or supports a different, more efficient bacterial colony. M's tank had a bunch of porous shit in it and that fukn tank NEVER his its stride like mine did and the only difference was the rock. If you can find some Tonga branch get it, it's all I'll use from now on. I have been hearing rumours of some coming in, I've been asking for a container of boat rock from Tonga for over 2 years now.

• Like 4
mitten_reef
31 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

What kind of rock do you have in there? I've noticed that the really dense rock works MUCH better than the open porous rock. I think it denitrifies better than the porous stuff does or supports a different, more efficient bacterial colony. M's tank had a bunch of porous shit in it and that fukn tank NEVER his its stride like mine did and the only difference was the rock. If you can find some Tonga branch get it, it's all I'll use from now on. I have been hearing rumours of some coming in, I've been asking for a container of boat rock from Tonga for over 2 years now.

Sounds like Marco rock is a no go for my new build then, plus that shit is pricey anyway.  While we’re talking rocks, heard anything about the caribsea south sea rocks?  Good, bad, meh, or don’t go near it with a ten-foot pole?

39 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I am using the life rock or something like that..........I had pukani in my 100 and loved it............to bad its no more...........

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Sounds like Marco rock is a no go for my new build then, plus that shit is pricey anyway.  While we’re talking rocks, heard anything about the caribsea south sea rocks?  Good, bad, meh, or don’t go near it with a ten-foot pole?

If it were me, I'd keep an eye on Facebook and Craigslist for rock. Every once in a while branch rock pops up there.

2 hours ago, spectra said:

I am using the life rock or something like that..........I had pukani in my 100 and loved it............to bad its no more...........

I do think the days of cheap rock is over. We're all trying to get something going, but the fukn airlines are breaking it off in our asses at every turn. I have a charter guy flying my stuff up from South America in a plane that was around when Christ was a corporal.

• Like 3
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

If it were me, I'd keep an eye on Facebook and Craigslist for rock. Every once in a while branch rock pops up there.

I do think the days of cheap rock is over. We're all trying to get something going, but the fukn airlines are breaking it off in our asses at every turn. I have a charter guy flying my stuff up from South America in a plane that was around when Christ was a corporal.

Just found a giant branch rock on CL this morning.   20" x 20" x 10" Y-shape with branching clusters on both tips.  this might just end up being the main show piece in the shallow cube.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny
23 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Just found a giant branch rock on CL this morning.   20" x 20" x 10" Y-shape with branching clusters on both tips.  this might just end up being the main show piece in the shallow cube.

You can always break it up and stick it back together with Emaico cement. The last bit I got was chunky pieces that I stuck together that way. Our 57 rimless and my 80 are hitting on all 8 cylinders. M's tank grew slime algae and dinos like no other tank I've ever seen. The only difference is the porosity of the rock, hers was porous, mine is not.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well updates............................... tank is pissing me off.....................cant figure it out and well....................

See the source image

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2
mitten_reef
1 minute ago, spectra said:

Well updates............................... tank is pissing me off.....................cant figure it out and well....................

See the source image

Welp, there’s always that route. Good luck. Hope to see the next build sooner than later. 😅

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Welp, there’s always that route. Good luck. Hope to see the next build sooner than later. 😅

Yeah not happy with the RS tanks...............I should have never got rid of my 100 I had.............now the tank maker is out of business so looking for other alternatives............. got a quote for a tank from Custom and may go that rout...........

I can sell this one really easy............

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
righttirefire
10 minutes ago, spectra said:

Yeah not happy with the RS tanks...............I should have never got rid of my 100 I had.............now the tank maker is out of business so looking for other alternatives............. got a quote for a tank from Custom and may go that rout...........

Or call a buddy with a lagoon!

I'm going fishing tomorrow. But Sunday, it could be yours!

• Haha 4
StinkyBunny
16 minutes ago, spectra said:

Some tanks just don't grow a damn thing. I had a 5' tank that grew algae real good, but nothing else. we changed the rock, the light, the salt and it still looked like boiled dog shit. The 57 rimless we have is the polar opposite, I think you could piss in that tank and corals would ask for more. You could always come over to the dark side and do freshwater. 😄

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Some tanks just don't grow a damn thing. I had a 5' tank that grew algae real good, but nothing else. we changed the rock, the light, the salt and it still looked like boiled dog shit. The 57 rimless we have is the polar opposite, I think you could piss in that tank and corals would ask for more. You could always come over to the dark side and do freshwater. 😄

Yeah I am just not happy with the height of the tank..................the sump sucks ass.................just not a fan............only my sticks are doing bad..............lost almost all of them and well LPS and softies are doing just fine............figure if I am going to do another one this is it.............and sorry no plecostomus for me.............:wink:

• Haha 1
StinkyBunny

My problem with Red Sea tanks is their fukn glass. If you look at it wrong it's got a scratch. The RSM 130D tanks were the worst for it. I'd love to lay my hands on a decent white 130D, but I know it's going to look like someone used a goddamn belt sander on the glass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 8:45 PM, spectra said:

Yeah I am just not happy with the height of the tank..................the sump sucks ass.................just not a fan............only my sticks are doing bad..............lost almost all of them and well LPS and softies are doing just fine............figure if I am going to do another one this is it.............and sorry no plecostomus for me.............:wink:

Too tall/not enough PAR? 

-Ill buy your stand.

• Haha 1
On 7/25/2020 at 1:02 PM, StinkyBunny said:

My problem with Red Sea tanks is their fukn glass. If you look at it wrong it's got a scratch. The RSM 130D tanks were the worst for it. I'd love to lay my hands on a decent white 130D, but I know it's going to look like someone used a goddamn belt sander on the glass.

Yup

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

You ready to sell your stand? 

Sure thing..................it will come with a tank on it also...................

its going to the local dealer once I decide what I want.................

Just now, mitten_reef said:

You’re getting a 750?  Or just a random 6-footer?

mrs jack would staple his nuts to the wall......................

• Like 1
  • Haha 2