Pod Your Reef

The 75 gallon jump!!

NSReefer902

Slowly getting all the components!! Setting it up soon!

Current list of equipment ;

80lbs of Carbisea ocean live sand 

20lbs of carbisea life rock 

10lbs live rock currently in the 10g tank 

waiting on response for 50lbs of live life rock from a 8 year old tank

1 kessil 160

1 coral moon box (currently on the 10g that being transfered)
2- Jebco RW-15’s 

I live in Nova Scotia and plan on filling the tank for the first salt water fill with fresh salt water off the Atlantic coast! Partially because making 75g with my little 50gpd RODI buddy would suck but also for the beneficial Organisms.

only question is to build a good stand or risk the steel one that came with the tank....   

D152E21E-5941-4425-A46D-D130EF380558.jpeg

D46E5AA5-8DCA-4680-8A59-A42075B6DB0C.jpeg

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, NSReefer902 said:

1 kessil 160

2- Jebco RW-15’s 

I live in Nova Scotia and plan on filling the tank for the first salt water fill with fresh salt water off the Atlantic coast! Partially because making 75g with my little 50gpd RODI buddy would suck but also for the beneficial Organisms.

only question is to build a good stand or risk the steel one that came with the tank....   

Yay! New tank! 😃

8 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Yay! New tank! 😃

I know! So exciting! Honestly your tank is what gave me the confidence and inspiration to do this build! I was pretty nervous when I first started planning this out to do with no skimmer or sump. After reading and following your journal I’m pretty confident with a little elbow grease I can getter done lol.

My little goby and clowns will be so happy when they leave the 10g lol all this space! 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, NSReefer902 said:

I know! So exciting! Honestly your tank is what gave me the confidence and inspiration to do this build! I was pretty nervous when I first started planning this out to do with no skimmer or sump. After reading and following your journal I’m pretty confident with a little elbow grease I can getter done lol.

My little goby and clowns will be so happy when they leave the 10g lol all this space! 

You can do it! 😃

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
11 hours ago, NSReefer902 said:

1 kessil 160

2- Jebco RW-15’s 

it's going to look good when you have it up and running :smilie:.

Side note, I have the ro buddie and I got the 50gpd. You can actually put the 100gpd membrane in. It makes 5 gallons in just under an hour with that membrane in. Just fyi, didn't know if you knew about putting the large membrane in.

Can't wait to see what you make with this. Looks similar to my 75 which is sitting empty and sad :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking good - square tubing is strong stuff, I'm sure the stand will hold - you could always put it on something else, but I think that stand is built to hold two 75s (or 60s) - so IMO there's too much future potential to abandon it  lol

• Like 1
On 10/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, Wonderboy said:

Looking good - square tubing is strong stuff, I'm sure the stand will hold - you could always put it on something else, but I think that stand is built to hold two 75s (or 60s) - so IMO there's too much future potential to abandon it  lol

Awesome thanks!

i just wasn’t sure since it’s welded together at the legs instead of going over top of them and being welded.

Stand should hold fine...my only concern is the weight over time damaging the floor from the skinny legs. I would probably put something down to protect the floor.

16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Stand should hold fine...my only concern is the weight over time damaging the floor from the skinny legs. I would probably put something down to protect the floor.

Thanks! Good point! mind you, the floor is crappy lament that I plan to replace eventually, underneath is concrete. 

I appreciate the extra confidence on the stand, I thought it might be alright as it was set up for freshwater but  all I could think was jeeze... what if I’m wrong lol and all this extra rock and sand is going to throw it off.... 

now that I type it out I realize the rock And sand would displace some water and help balance everything out... 

now the real question, should I just bite the bullet and make my own water or head

to the beach and go get some water from about chest deep?
 Just curious if anyone has notice some

Benefits  to The ocean water approach

43 minutes ago, NSReefer902 said:

Thanks! Good point! mind you, the floor is crappy lament that I plan to replace eventually, underneath is concrete. 

I appreciate the extra confidence on the stand, I thought it might be alright as it was set up for freshwater but  all I could think was jeeze... what if I’m wrong lol and all this extra rock and sand is going to throw it off.... 

now that I type it out I realize the rock And sand would displace some water and help balance everything out... 

now the real question, should I just bite the bullet and make my own water or head

The water is most likely contaminated from boats, etc. Generally if you use ocean water you want it from deep. 

Just now, Tamberav said:

The water is most likely contaminated from boats, etc. Generally if you use ocean water you want it from deep. 

That’s what I was worried about. A lfs uses only fresh salt water from one of our beaches on the Atlantic coast, they do have a good looking 350g display tank, but that doesn’t mean it’s not contaminated. 

thanks for the info, 

2 hours ago, NSReefer902 said:

That’s what I was worried about. A lfs uses only fresh salt water from one of our beaches on the Atlantic coast, they do have a good looking 350g display tank, but that doesn’t mean it’s not contaminated. 

thanks for the info, 

No worries, some people do use NSW they live by though. Plenty without issue... maybe some have had issues. I guess you won't know until you try? 🙂

Be sure to check the salinity. 

On 10/15/2019 at 8:25 PM, NSReefer902 said:

That stand is probably better than a wood stand unless there's something wrong with it.   They make steel because of how strong it is, after all.  😉

But seriously, high end tank makers put their tanks on steel stands they make for them all the time.

Skin it with something if you want it to look (or otherwise be) different, but it would be sorta senseless to replace it more or less without reason IMO.

5 hours ago, NSReefer902 said:

Is that a haiku?  😉

@Paul B is the only person I can name offhand who does this pretty routinely and he's on the Atlantic, tho I know he's not the only one doing it.  He does not get it from deep.  Deep is where any institutional source of seawater is likely to be from though.  Any colleges or research institutions nearby the do oceanic/marinelife work?  They may have a seawater tap (or other availability) something like at Scripps Pier in California.

You should know the area where you're taking water, be familiar with it.  Maybe google some of paul's posts from here and elsewhere and read his collection stories to see what you can learn.  Start small.

If you can find a good, clean spot where the existing life looks healthy, it's a great idea for your tank.  I just wouldn't do it lightly.  Do keep reading up on it like you are.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

That stand is probably better than a wood stand unless there's something wrong with it.   They make steel because of how strong it is, after all.  😉

But seriously, high end tank makers put their tanks on steel stands they make for them all the time.

Skin it with something if you want it to look (or otherwise be) different, but it would be sorta senseless to replace it more or less without reason IMO.

Is that a haiku?  😉

@Paul B is the only person I can name offhand who does this pretty routinely and he's on the Atlantic, tho I know he's not the only one doing it.  He does not get it from deep.  Deep is where any institutional source of seawater is likely to be from though.  Any colleges or research institutions nearby the do oceanic/marinelife work?  They may have a seawater tap (or other availability) something like at Scripps Pier in California.

You should know the area where you're taking water, be familiar with it.  Maybe google some of paul's posts from here and elsewhere and read his collection stories to see what you can learn.  Start small.

If you can find a good, clean spot where the existing life looks healthy, it's a great idea for your tank.  I just wouldn't do it lightly.  Do keep reading up on it like you are.

Awesome thanks!!

ya I know two locations I was thinking abou going very well. There is lots of healthy life at them as we do frequently surf and snorkel there (in the wonderful 4 degree water lol). One of the locations has a ton of shoals and is no where near an active transport route so my thoughts where I wouldn’t have to worry as much about contamination. 

I’ll check Paul’s post out and see what I can learn!

thanks 

Finally I got the tank filled, all the rock in (last week) and have completed the switch!

I am not sure about the aquascape yet, but so far I am happy with it! 
After talking with other reefers here in Nova Scotia , I found out almost everyone uses natural salt water. Some get it from a government wharf, which is rather easy, although there is a bit of Sail boat traffic. I personally don’t like the idea of traffic or boats where I collect water.  I chose to research, boat traffic and beaches that where close to the road I could walk and fill my 40 gallon brute and carry my buckets to the back of my truck.

so the other weekend I tossed on the wet suit and walked out up to my neck and grabbed some quality water just before high tide. 

so far I am really happy with it, it’s really clear, and the corals seem to love it ( did a water change on the ten last week to test it out).

Now that everyone is settled and things are looking good, looks like I’ll be grabbing a yellow tang and a 6 line wrasse, hopefully A few corals  as well, not sure what to go with yet. Since I’m running no skimmer, Sump, or anything I think I’ll stay away from the sps corals and keep it simple. 

I still need to build in the stand and get everything organized but I’ve just been enjoying watching things evolve over the last week. Wow I love a new tank so much actions and change lol!

***side note I noticed this on my GSP not sure if it’s aipatsia Or not. Sorry it’s not a great photo 

2AB5AA05-C5B8-4256-A1E4-4034584BBF78.jpeg

60BF6E6B-C447-4E62-A50B-552DC9EF0F3D.jpeg

• Like 3
On 11/4/2019 at 10:07 PM, Tamberav said:

I think the scape looks good and the angel probably likes it. Tank is looking really nice. 

Thank you! Everyone is enjoying it very much! Mostly me :)))

• 2 weeks later...

Incredibly sad day today 😞 I had one of my giant turbo snails die and cause a bit of an ammonia spike, along with my battle of this giant aiptasia. I did a water change Saturday and everyone seemed fine. Then this afternoon my wife called and our flame angel had died 😭😭 incredibly chocked as I loved this fish. 

Still trying to figure out what happened but it’s looking like the spike is what did it in 😞

CEA33420-07CC-4477-A655-37457C108F23.jpeg

1CFF3EE7-8CDA-414E-870C-4624E67A2909.jpeg

• Sad 1