Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

PVN's 5 Gallon Nano Pico Reef Engage Journal

pvn228

Latest updated photo 10-20-19:

pvn5g10-20-19.thumb.png.bfe18aa6db8b4157840db8d9b1247de2.png

Hello friends, this is my new project, it's a 5 gallon Topfin engage. This is day 2 and live rock is in, but the sand wasn't live. I don't really have mapped out plans for it so we'll see it evolve as the days go on. Right now i'm going to wait a few weeks maybe a month for the system to cycle.

So far I haven't added anything non stock to the aquarium, besides heater. I'm using Chemipure and Purigen for filtration. I think I need more interesting looking rock, but for now it'll do to break in the system. I prefer soft & lps coral so that's going to be the main inhabitants, fish-wise idk yet (prob clowns).

I'm going to update every week or so, stay tuned.

First photo log 10-15-19:

pvn5galday2.png

• Like 3

Scape looks nice, and it should be interesting to see how that back wall looks when it gets coraline on it.

Clowns really need more space than a 5gal, once they hit adulthood. They'll also contribute a comparatively massive bioload. Your best bet in any pico tank is a tiny goby or blenny, since they have such a tiny bioload and don't need much space to move. Clown gobies are a bit like clownfish, and may be worth looking into, or barnacle blennies. Shrimpgobies, too, but they're most interesting with pistol shrimp, which require the rockwork to be placed on the glass bottom of the tank (they'll dig sand out from underneath) and can make a mess.

@Tired I looked up barnacle blenny and fell in love! I don't think i've seen them in fish stores, are they hard to find? Thanks for bio load advice also.

@damaba The light should be good enough to grow macro, but if you want to have more of a reef look you might have to upgrade to a more blueish light. So I am planning on a80 tuna blue.

I'm updating ahead of schedule. So only thing I added was a tiny powerhead, water cleared up and algae are starting to grow on top of the base rock. I am going to get a testing kit soon so i'll update you guys on the numbers to see how this thing matures.

pvn5g10-20-19.thumb.png.9696accd61bdfe15a2428483746eeb36.png

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...