ReefCleaners.org

Darn hermit crabs!!!

Oldfishwife

I have been nursing a teeny little Xenia frag back to health for the past month or so. It was on a snail shell when I got it and because I did a freshwater dip (I know, I know) it had melted to a mere dot of pink tissue. 🙁 it had finally grown to a bunch of stalks about 1/8” long and pulsing like crazy. I was so pleased. 

Earlier today day I noticed a couple of hermit crabs near it, but didn’t pay any attention. When I checked the tank out a few hours later, the shell and my pretty little Xenia were gone. I searched the tank and found a blue leg proudly wearing his Xenia adorned shell. 😂 unfortunately, the xenia didn’t look good; scraped and damaged. I pulled him out, used my fingernail to remove the Xenia and glued it to a piece of shell. I’m not very hopeful, but we shall see. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Oldfishwife said:

I have been nursing a teeny little Xenia frag back to health for the past month or so. It was on a snail shell when I got it and because I did a freshwater dip (I know, I know) it had melted to a mere dot of pink tissue. 🙁 it had finally grown to a bunch of stalks about 1/8” long and pulsing like crazy. I was so pleased. 

Earlier today day I noticed a couple of hermit crabs near it, but didn’t pay any attention. When I checked the tank out a few hours later, the shell and my pretty little Xenia were gone. I searched the tank and found a blue leg proudly wearing his Xenia adorned shell. 😂 unfortunately, the xenia didn’t look good; scraped and damaged. I pulled him out, used my fingernail to remove the Xenia and glued it to a piece of shell. I’m not very hopeful, but we shall see. 

Hermits are punks. Hopefully it pulls through. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

that's sad.  I hope it pulls through. All that work!  My dog got into a rabbits nest one day and brought me a baby bunny.  I had no idea where it came from so I took care of it, feeding it with a cue tip dipped in formula.  I had it for about 6 weeks and was just about ready to let it go when I got a phone call.  I put the little bunny in a big bucket while I took the call and my cat jumped in the bucket and got the bunny. 😡

Hate it when that happens.

• Sad 2

I would be surprised if it stayed glued as Xenia tends to detach from glue. I would make a little mushroom trap for it.

If you are in WI area...I can give you a whole bunch of Xenia.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I would be surprised if it stayed glued as Xenia tends to detach from glue. I would make a little mushroom trap for it.

If you are in WI area...I can give you a whole bunch of Xenia.

Thanks, but I do have a fairly large Xenia pulsing away any time I add ESV two-part! 😂 I was just hoping to raise this little thing because it’s fun to bring stuff back from nothing. The snail still has some tissue on the shell, so I’m sure that will grow back. 😍

• Like 1
17 hours ago, sadie said:

that's sad.  I hope it pulls through. All that work!  My dog got into a rabbits nest one day and brought me a baby bunny.  I had no idea where it came from so I took care of it, feeding it with a cue tip dipped in formula.  I had it for about 6 weeks and was just about ready to let it go when I got a phone call.  I put the little bunny in a big bucket while I took the call and my cat jumped in the bucket and got the bunny. 😡

Hate it when that happens.

Ugh! I’m sorry. We rescued a baby bunny one time - found the mama dead. We had him in a little box in our basement and he was taking formula. One day my husband went down to feed him and there was a big old black snake with a bunny sized lump in his gut. 😳🙁

• Sad 1
  • Wow 4
On 10/16/2019 at 4:28 PM, Oldfishwife said:

in our basement [...]there was a big old black snake

This is all I could read out of your post. 😉 Why was there a big  Black Snake in your basement???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a blue hermit eat half of my bubble coral once before i caught him..  pissed me off.. but i cant kill living things and i didnt have a tank to banish him.  Then the next day i saw him fighting a red hermit and the red hermit tore him to peices.

Lol.. its taken about 5 months for my bubble heal and regrow its almost back to its original size now

• Wow 1