Ciber

Is my clown sick with ich?

Ciber

Recently i bought a clown for a nano 8 gallon aquarium i made, but recently i have seen some little spots on him, i have it for 2 days now, ammonia is on 0, nitrate 0, and nitrite 0 too, he is on 24-25 Celsius, and he hasnt eat too much yet, he just eat some frozen brine shrimp, im not that afraid of the eating issue, i had a pair that eat on the 5th day i got them, but im really worried about this spots i saw on him, i try to take a photo, this is the best ones i got.

Im new to the hobby, i just got one 20 gallon FOWLR tank with 2 clowns and a firefish, and i didnt have these issues with them.

Thank you in advance for the help 😞

72539529_426365931396966_8699765199340568576_n.jpg

73232042_430850324296865_2285963465321349120_n.jpg

Ciber

I forgot to add that he is with a very very shy yellowtail damsel, she hides a lot since i add the clown, she's been there for 20 days.

Tamberav

Nope...looks worse...looks like velvet to me (not ich). 

Give your fish a 5 min fw bath and move to a QT asap for treatment or you may lose both quickly. Tank needs to be left without fish for awhile. I think it was 4 or 6 weeks? This write-up is a good read on how to treat:

Disease is common in this hobby.

1 hour ago, Ciber said:

I forgot to add that he is with a very very shy yellowtail damsel, she hides a lot since i add the clown, she's been there for 20 days.

Clown79
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Nope...looks worse...looks like velvet to me (not ich). 

Give your fish a 5 min fw bath and move to a QT asap for treatment or you may lose both quickly. Tank needs to be left without fish for awhile. I think it was 4 or 6 weeks? This write-up is a good read on how to treat:

Disease is common in this hobby.

I think its 8 weeks fallow.

I did 10 just to be 100% safe.

Both fish definitely need treating, velvet is a swift killer.

Ciber

Hi guys, thank you for the response, today the clown look much worse in the morning, im moving them to qt but, with my research yesterday i need to ask, can velvet be fought with hypposallinity?

Ciber

Nevermind, just read about that and found my answer.... i'll start with the fw bath this night... i will put both the damsel and the clown on different tanks to see if the damsel doesnt had white dots, is that a good idea?
it sucks to leave my tank without nothing for 6 weeks tho...

Thanks a lot.

Clown79
10 minutes ago, Ciber said:

Nevermind, just read about that and found my answer.... i'll start with the fw bath this night... i will put both the damsel and the clown on different tanks to see if the damsel doesnt had white dots, is that a good idea?
it sucks to leave my tank without nothing for 6 weeks tho...

Thanks a lot.

The damsel should be treated with meds like the clown, the chances of it not getting velvet is low

Humblefish

In any case, I would treat with copper + metro in a QT. That combination covers Ich, velvet, brook, uronema.

A 45 min formalin bath or 90 min acriflavine bath prior to entering QT would be useful.

If you can't get any fish meds, give him a 30 minute H2O2 bath: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/405330-hydrogen-peroxide-fish-treatment-information/

Transferring into a clean, sterile tank afterwards would be advisable in order to prevent reinfection. Dose H2O2 at TWICE the recommended concentration, to achieve 150ppm.

Ciber

I did a FW dip on him... but actually got freak out at minute 2 cuz he almost stopped breathing, so I take him out and it is now on a 5 gallon plastic cube, I add some of a lfs medicine made locally in my country wich is 1% copper sulfate, I add a little bit less than the indications said, and lets see how he handle it, it is now pretty active actually, he eat a little bit...

I will be updating when he gets better :) (I hope he does) 

Ciber

The Yellow damsel is with him on the cube, but didnt receive any FW dip since I cant see any dot yet...

Thank you for all the advice, I hope they can get over it.

Ciber

Just saw my damsel sorrounded by that thing 😞 im glad i put her on medication too....

60 days isnt that lonng.

Tired

Since that tank isn't cycled, you'll want to be doing a lot of water changes to keep ammonia out. Also, be very careful of aggression issues in such a small tank- in your quarantine and also your display. Clownfish are damsels as well, and they'll likely start feeling crowded once they get to full size.

And you'll want a different food. Frozen brine shrimp isn't nutritious at all, it's like cotton candy. Try mysis or a mix of foods.

Ciber

I normally use Frozen brine shrimp to get them eating, the damsel is eating super fine but the clownfish still being "delicate" about it.

Ciber

It's been 2 days now and both are doing fine, clown still isnt eating too much, i checked today the water parameters and ammonia is 0 and nitrate are about 40ish.

All sign of Brook/Velvet is gone by now, should i make a large water change to eliminate copper residues or its ok to wait till the ammonia and nitrate get a little high?

Ciber

I put them on a 1 gallon cube i use to take baby guppies with the water they had in the cube to take some photos and see what you guys think.

Here they are:

IMG-20191018-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20191018-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20191018-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20191018-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20191018-WA0004.jpg

Tired

That is a very stressed damsel.

Never wait for ammonia and nitrite to rise! In a cycled tank, they never should, for one thing. Additionally, they're toxic. 

I'm not convinced that the disease is all gone by now. You'll probably want to do a water change and keep up with the course of treatment, and give them more places to hide.

Are you planning to eventually get another clownfish? They really do best in m/f pairs.

Ciber

Im planning bout getting a 15 gallon tank and then get another clownfish, and my damsel was stressed indeed, i put a big conch shell i had on my other 20 gallon, and the damsel is doing a lot better hiding there and defending it, when i get up and turn the lights on, both the clown and the damsel were inside the conch so y think i will add a pvc tube i had.

Just did a water change in your advice.... i will need to go for more marine salt soon lol

I change the filter yesterday and added a little bit of the zeolite i had on my other tank, the copper sulfate will kill the bacteria right??? 

Ciber

Also i moved them on a 10 gallon plastic box, more space should be more stability and space for them to not fight.... i think

Ciber

Almost doing the 4 weeks since i started the treatment, they are doing awesome so far, no signs of velvet/brook or whatever they got, but im having a hard time doing water changes to mantain ammonia low, so i was thinking about use the main filter from the main aquarium they used to be. 

But i had to ask, will the disease will potentially be on my filter too? 

Thanks.

Tamberav
1 hour ago, Ciber said:

Almost doing the 4 weeks since i started the treatment, they are doing awesome so far, no signs of velvet/brook or whatever they got, but im having a hard time doing water changes to mantain ammonia low, so i was thinking about use the main filter from the main aquarium they used to be. 

But i had to ask, will the disease will potentially be on my filter too? 

Thanks.

Yes...don't use anything from the DT.

You can dose biospira...copper may make it less effective but won't kill it.

• Like 1