Cultivated Reef

BOSN'MATE Nano Reef

BOSN'MATE

Just set up a IM Nuvo 10 kit from BRS, day 3! I've had aquariums since I was 10yo, everything from 5gal gold fish to 125gal Malawi Cichlid tanks. This is my first attempt at SW, but I'm now an empty nester (youngest of three kids just left for college) and have plenty of time!   

IMG_0837.JPG

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, BOSN'MATE said:

Just set up a IM Nuvo 10 kit from BRS, day 3! I've had aquariums since I was 10yo, everything from 5gal gold fish to 125gal Malawi Cichlid tanks. This is my first attempt at SW, but I'm now an empty nester (youngest of three kids just left for college) and have plenty of time!   

IMG_0837.JPG

Welcome to NR! 😊

what are your plans for the new tank?

Not sure at this point. I have gone back and forth over the years on giving this a try. I have a 125g tank with only 3 small koi in it right now and was debating making it a reef, which would be awesome!!!! But I plan to move in the next 2 years. I figure this 10 gal is a good way to learn. I know things change quickly in 10gals...but like I said I have time!

I will probably start with some zoa and see where that leads me. I'd really like to see something moving in the current so I'm open to suggestions.

• Like 1
Just now, BOSN'MATE said:

Not sure at this point. I have gone back and forth over the years on giving this a try. I have a 125g tank with only 3 small koi in it right now and was debating making it a reef, which would be awesome!!!! But I plan to move in the next 2 years. I figure this 10 gal is a good way to learn. I know things change quickly in 10gals...but like I said I have time!

I will probably start with some zoa and see where that leads me. I'd really like to see something moving in the current so I'm open to suggestions.

If you can manage cichlids, you can run a reef. 😀

I’d recommend looking around the other 10 gallon threads and see what others are doing to get ideas for your own tank. 

• 4 weeks later...

Cycle completed. Added a ocellaris blk and a Scooter Blenny last week. Both are eating well and seem happy. Seeded the tank with copepods, but I don't see them anymore. Maybe the blenny was hungrier than I thought. Waiting to get my AI Prime HD light next month, but working on a coral list in the mean time. Any suggestions for a beginner coral that would work on the top of my rock structure?

IMG_0870.JPG

• Like 1

Welcome to NR.. tank is looking good. How long did your cycle take? 3 weeks is pretty quick with what looks like dry rock.. since you already added fish I would monitor ammonia for a few weeks and see where your at.. I would start running your light and getting a little algae and add a clean up crew of snails first. Your tank is going to get a big diatom bloom soon enough. Id wait for that to calm down then add coral.. but if your like most of us and cant wait😆 add some mushrooms or maybe some acans...

Good luck 

Happy reefing

Welcome to one of the most addictive hobbies ever. 

I too started fish tanks when I was like 9 or 10 freshwater of everything and saltwater of all kinds. I always end up with just a reef tank in the end. 

They're just so fun! 10g is nice because you can fill with coral pretty quick and cheap! 

I'll be waiting for when you want to upgrade 😉

4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR. Did your order most of the equipment on line? Are there some good local stores near you? 

Mostly online. There are a few good stores nearby that have coral and livestock so I'll be getting that stuff locally 

Woke up this morning to a dead clown... tested ammonia 0 nitrite 0. It was eating well and showed no signed of stress in the last 5 days. I will note that last night it did seem to be staying in an area of high current, and I was hoping there was just something interesting that caught his attention. I'm super bummed 

• Sad 2

So it looks like the death of the clown was maybe just a sick fish...the Blenny seems super happy and all parameters are still 0. I got a second ammonia test kit ( Salifert and API now) to make sure and ammonia and nitrites are 0. So I guess I'll wait a few more days then maybe think about moving forward again.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BOSN'MATE said:

So it looks like the death of the clown was maybe just a sick fish...the Blenny seems super happy and all parameters are still 0. I got a second ammonia test kit ( Salifert and API now) to make sure and ammonia and nitrites are 0. So I guess I'll wait a few more days then maybe think about moving forward again.

Sorry mate. It just sometimes happens 😕 don't let it discourage you! 

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Terrible photo quality...but you get the idea! Blenny is doing great, added a couple of red leg hermits and my Prime 16HD s up and running. Now just trying out the dozens of light programs to find something I like. A new LFS just opened last week a couple of miles from the house. They are getting frags next week! Very excited to move forward. 

IMG_0891.JPG