Innovative Marine Aquariums

I woke up and my yellow tang had these black spots idk if it’s ich

Jaime casanova

Yeah, I'd suspect black ich, especially since you don't appear to have black sand. 

What's the tank size, parameters, and tank age? How long have you had him? Did you quarantine, and did you treat for anything in quarantine? 

Jaime casanova

My temperature is 78F my ph is 8.2 and the tank I had it for 6 weeks and I didn’t quarantine the fish but he didn’t have any black spots when I put him in and I have 2 clowns and they are doing fine and my tank is a 32 gallon 

Edited by Jaime casanova

Well, your first problem is that's a yellow tang. They grow to about 8 inches long and are only suitable for very large tanks, in the range of hundreds of gallons, because they need a large amount of space in which to move. Whoever told you that's a suitable fish for your tank was lying to sell you something. Rule of thumb: your LFS is more than likely either wrong or lying.

Second, this is why you quarantine. Stress lets diseases take hold that were dormant before. It was already sick, but the stress of transport, and probably of being in too small of a tank, means it's properly sick. Now that the disease is active, it's going to be shedding parasites into the tank, so your other fish are probably already infected, even if they don't look like it. You're going to have to look up treatments for black ich, pick one, and treat all the fish- probably your whole tank.

What are your other parameters? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, salinity? Is your tank fully cycled? 6 weeks is very new. 

Jaime casanova

My ammonia is .25 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 and I’m only going to have those 3 fish no more than that but tank you for your help something for the future 

Your tank is not cycled, and that ammonia is poisoning your fish. You need to start doing large water changes while you treat, to keep your fish from getting painful, dangerous chemical burns on their gills, so that your tank can properly cycle.

And it doesn't matter if you don't get more fish. You cannot keep that yellow tang in that tank. As it gets bigger, it's going to get more and more stressed, more and more aggressive. It's going to get sick again, from stress, and it's going to eventually attack your clownfish out of stress. It will likely kill them, either with disease or with the knife on its tail. You need to get rid of that yellow tang, now, before it gets any bigger. It is not suitable for this tank.

No, but it's fairly basic knowledge. That is an animal that is going to grow to 8 inches long. It is a very active animal. Your tank, assuming you have a Biocube, is about 18 inches long. Even just taking into account the bio-load, that wouldn't work. And this is a fish that need space. The recommended, absolute minimum tank length for them is 4', and many people will tell you that's too small.

You can look it up for yourself, if you don't believe me. Below are some links to start you off.

I know it's tough to learn that what you're doing, or wanting to do, isn't going to work. Especially when you're already doing it. But this isn't going to work. There is no way this will work. People have tried this, and it does not work. It is going to cause your fish massive stress, and very possibly kill them, if not from this disease than from something else. 

Treat the ich, then rehome the fish. CYCLE YOUR TANK so your fish don't suffer any more. Quarantine any new additions. These are very basic things that will keep you from winding up with suffering, dead animals and a great deal of trouble and expenditure.

To illustrate my point, here's a photoshopped image so you can see the scale of an 8" tang in a 32gal tank. I don't need to personally own one to see that this is a bad idea. It's like locking a Great Dane in a closet with two cats and expecting it to go well.

image.png.538f3ef8caa92922cc14d5e787bfb608.png

https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/Yellow-Tang

• Like 1

Anything other than ZERO ammonia is a problem. I would dose Prime or Amquel to neutralize it, and then start doing water changes. And invest in one of these for active monitoring:

spacer.png

@Tired is right about the Yellow Tang. It needs to be in a 75 gallon tank minimum.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Jaime casanova said:

@Tired @Humblefish thank you both for the advice I’m new to the hobby but I will return the tang when it’s healthy and any tips and things I should know to keep my reef healthy will help thank you 

While I hate to admit Tired is right about the tang because it’s a 32g tank and too small, I recognize maybe the tone was a bit harsh for a newbie. 

You might call the LFS and see if they can help you out with the tang since your tank is small and still cycling. Let them know what happening and see if they can take it back to an appropriate QT. He may not make it in the tank while the ammonia is high, if he’s already sick. And water changing every day isn’t going to make the tank cycle by the end of the week- not really. 

• Like 2
Jaime casanova

It’s alright I rather get yelled at my mistakes before it gets worse and I lose fish but that’s just how you learn by making mistakes and getting advice by people that have been here longer than me but thank you and yeah that’s what I’m a do and what can I do to get my ammonia level down to 0

I'm sorry if my tone was harsh, that wasn't my intent. I was going for direct- an explanation of why this is happening and what needs to be done. Never been good at figuring out how to sugarcoat "this isn't working". 

To get your ammonia down, do a lot of water changes. Read up on fish-in cycling, that's what you're doing here. The goal is to reduce pain and stress for the fish by keeping ammonia very low, but not quite gone, until your beneficial bacteria develop properly. You may be able to buy bottled beneficial bacteria, Biospira or another brand, to finish the cycle now.

You're also going to need to treat for ich, it won't go away on its own.

3 fish is appropriate for a tank that size, but it should be 3 SMALL fish. 2" or so, maybe 3". Wait at least a month (preferably more) after your tank is fully cycled and you've properly treated for ich, and then you can get something else. I like shrimpgobies. You could get a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp, though the pistols do have a tendency to make a mess of anything near the sandbed. Yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp is a hardy, reliable pair. I believe pygmy possum wrasse are suitable? Research that if you like the look of one. Some blennies are good candidates (NOT a scooter "blenny", that's a dragonet and will starve), and many blennies need a very well-established tank with a lot of algae. Rooster waspfish are rare to find and venomous (though not dangerously, just painfully), but are very cool. A firefish may be okay if you have a lot of places for it to hide and get away from your clowns. What clowns are they, by the way? Probably they're suitable, but if they're maroon clowns, they'll also get too big. You want ocellaris clowns for a small tank- the "Nemo" ones. And this is, by the way, a small tank for saltwater. Not technically nano, but it may as well be. You have options, though you should really only be looking at nano fish.

For any future additions, do your research. Assume the LFS doesn't know what they're talking about or will lie to you. Some are good, but a lot are misinformed or worse. 

• Like 1
Jaime casanova

@Tired it’s Ok thx for the help I’m glad I’m getting a helping hand and yes I’m looking at sum ways I can fix the problems I have I’m think of a neon goby they say there good for cleaning fish and my clowns are normal nemos I have 2 they don’t like mysis shrimp it’s weird the tang is eating but not the clowns soo I’m thinking of getting pellets and I have a hammer and Xenia and sum zoanthus and I just found worms on the rock that was on the corals 1 on the xenia and zoanthus and I have them away from the main rock structure soo I’m a be looking to get that quarantine up and running as fast as I can because it’s gonna come in handy but yeah I’m thinking of the neon goby and sum shrimp to help out and do you think the tank is big enough for 4 clowns to themselves normal nemos and 2 designer clowns 
Edited by Jaime casanova
3 hours ago, Jaime casanova said:

@Tired it’s Ok thx for the help I’m glad I’m getting a helping hand and yes I’m looking at sum ways I can fix the problems I have I’m think of a neon goby they say there good for cleaning fish and my clowns are normal nemos I have 2 they don’t like mysis shrimp it’s weird the tang is eating but not the clowns soo I’m thinking of getting pellets and I have a hammer and Xenia and sum zoanthus and I just found worms on the rock that was on the corals 1 on the xenia and zoanthus and I have them away from the main rock structure soo I’m a be looking to get that quarantine up and running as fast as I can because it’s gonna come in handy but yeah I’m thinking of the neon goby and sum shrimp to help out and do you think the tank is big enough for 4 clowns to themselves normal nemos and 2 designer clowns 

You can not mix multiple clownfish in small tanks. They will eventually kill each other.

Most saltwater fish tend to get aggressive with age. There is no such thing as a community tank like freshwater. Even peaceful fish will turn mean if crowded too much. Most every fish needs territory.

Here are some ideas that are appropriate for your tank: (4 max unless tiny).

Tailspot Blenny

Royal Gramma

Shrimp gobies

Pink streak wrasse

Firefish

Yellowhead jawfish

Yellow assesor

Avoid mixing similarly shaped or closely related fish. For example a Yellow assesor and Royal Gramma would be a bad mix and a Jawfish and a firefish are similarly shaped and could cause issues.

I know you got the Tang lecture...but just to point out ..you don't have enough algae...this fish needs nori and preferably live fresh algae... and a lot...so it doesn't get skinny...which will screw your water quality in a 3 week old 32g. It's like a cow and eats constantly and you don't have the pasture for it.

It also appears to have the beginning of lateral line errosin. There seem to be many theory's and causes but poor diet and poor water quality can certainly be a cause.

Tangs are a magnet for disease and not worth it in a nano imo.

• Like 2