Pod Your Reef

Switching to RODI!!!

Cody_Hardy

Hey guys, 

ive had a 10gal system up for almost a year now. During that time I’ve just used treated tap water for mixing and topups.

My tank has a couple of clowns, assorted softys/LPS, a cleaner shrimp and some snails/crabs

I think my plan is to just continue going about my weekly water changes as normal but with the rodi. Is this a good idea? Will be testing Params to make sure everything’s okay and matching.

ive read though that the metals etc. deep into the rock and sand - will it ever leach out and leave the tank through chemical media or water changes??

thanks 🙂

It's always worth making the switch to RODI. Will you be buying it or making it yourself? Either way it's worth buying a cheap total disolved solids (TDS) meter so you can check that it's good quality and pure. Interested to hear from others regarding leaching of existing compounds etc.

Yeah I bought my own unit 🥳🥳

its got a TDS meter at the beginning and end of the unit - thought it would be good to get both, as I’ve always been curious what my tap waters like as well so I’ll monitor that as well 😁

• Like 1

I wouldn't have thought there would be too many truly successful reef tanks using tap water over RODI, even if it has been treated. I think you might be surprised in the improvement of the system once the switch has been made for a couple of months.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Cody_Hardy said:

Yeah I bought my own unit 🥳🥳

its got a TDS meter at the beginning and end of the unit - thought it would be good to get both, as I’ve always been curious what my tap waters like as well so I’ll monitor that as well 😁

If your rodi unit has a tds meter that reads water going in and out, the in part is reading the tds from your tap water. No need for a handheld unit. 

• Thanks 1

No need but it can still be handy for checking output water or tap water outside the system.  

I don't have one either though....instead I opted for a high-range conductivity meter so I could use it for assessing limewater potency.  Didn't feel like I needed another TDS meter (which is a low-range conductivity meter calibrated in TDS) but I do use limewater in a Tunze reactor sometimes – it's hard to know when limewater is good and when it's expired without a meter.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:01 AM, Perthreefer said:

I wouldn't have thought there would be too many truly successful reef tanks using tap water over RODI, even if it has been treated. I think you might be surprised in the improvement of the system once the switch has been made for a couple of months.

Depends on the tap water, which mostly depends on locale.   There's nothing inherently wrong with using it.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Depends on the tap water, which mostly depends on locale.   There's nothing inherently wrong with using it.

I guess it would depend on the specific locale, the water in my area is quite hard and so I certainly wouldn't use it in my system. The problem with a forum is that if you are going to make a statement it's too hard to specify differences for different people. As you say, inherently there is probably nothing wrong with using it, however as a blanket statement I would say RODI is a better option.

• Like 1

Got it hooked up today 🙂 TDS of my tap water is around 150 - so glad I invested in rodi 👌🏻 Keen to see how my system reacts with a bit of purity!

thanks guys

• Like 1