Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anemone food changed

Jorge091293

So I decided to change my anemones food to a whole silver side did I do wrong ? 

IT was  originally eating mysis mixed with Reef Roids but it grew from 3 inche’s to 7 inches .. decided to give it  a new treat to once a week a silver side and the other week mysis just to change it up... a second question I know is kinda dumb but 

i read silver side can kill an anemones is that true ?

also will the anemone be okay today he eat a whole silver side was monitoring  it the whole time just Incase it spit it out ... 

Yes, silver sides can kill anemones.  It's been well documented over on ReefCentral.  Get rid of the silver sides and go to your local grocery store and buy some raw shrimp and feed a tiny chunk of it instead.  

I buy this kind from Walmart for my anemones:

deb4a4ba-8ca6-4634-8898-71c9b8d2196f_1.70d7ef54906d822c124584624567f0de.jpg

I feed silver slides, a lot of ppl do. 

They seem to love it but the ones I buy are very small and I cut them up and only feed a small piece.

The problem seems to be feeding whole pieces.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:19 AM, Clown79 said:

The problem seems to be feeding whole pieces.

...or the people who still feed them even after being warned about them killing anemones.

And what's a silver slide?  😄

Not denying that "someone" has had a problem with anemones and silversides, but there are several things...

...we can find literally anything "documented" on forum sites....even how dosing bleach into your reef is "good". 🙄

...feeding anemones is entirely optional.

...many folks keep anemones under less-than-great circumstances.

...many folks think that cramming silversides into an anemone will "make it happy" for some reason.

...many folks have trouble keeping anemones because they keep their tanks too clean.

...then they attempt to "make up for it" in feeding, but end up overfeeding.

...I bet most folks don't go through silversides quickly enough to keep them fresh.

...I bet most folks thaw out the brick to get a piece to feed. 

...whole fish don't stay fresh long even when frozen solid

...let alone will they stay fresh if there is a thaw/freeze cycle.

...friggin-a-for-sure-not if there are many thaw/freeze cycles.

...therefor I bet there's a fair contingent of silverside-feeding-reefers that are feeding silversides that are in various states of rotten. 😋

...I bet anemones don't like rotten meat.

IMO anemones shouldn't have a problem eating a hunk of meat (whether fish, shrimp or bison!).

Nor should they have a problem NOT eating that hunk of meat if there's a problem with it's size/quality/whatever.....unless the anemone is stressed/stressing or starving.  But if that's the case (my bet in almost all cases) then you can't really blame the food.

15 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Not denying that "someone" has had a problem with anemones and silversides, but there are several things...

...we can find literally anything "documented" on forum sites....even how dosing bleach into your reef is "good". 🙄

...feeding anemones is entirely optional.

...many folks keep anemones under less-than-great circumstances.

...many folks think that cramming silversides into an anemone will "make it happy" for some reason.

...many folks have trouble keeping anemones because they keep their tanks too clean.

...then they attempt to "make up for it" in feeding, but end up overfeeding.

...I bet most folks don't go through silversides quickly enough to keep them fresh.

...I bet most folks thaw out the brick to get a piece to feed. 

...whole fish don't stay fresh long even when frozen solid

...let alone will they stay fresh if there is a thaw/freeze cycle.

...friggin-a-for-sure-not if there are many thaw/freeze cycles.

...therefor I bet there's a fair contingent of silverside-feeding-reefers that are feeding silversides that are in various states of rotten. 😋

...I bet anemones don't like rotten meat.

IMO anemones shouldn't have a problem eating a hunk of meat (whether fish, shrimp or bison!).

Nor should they have a problem NOT eating that hunk of meat if there's a problem with it's size/quality/whatever.....unless the anemone is stressed/stressing or starving.  But if that's the case (my bet in almost all cases) then you can't really blame the food.

There are definitely negative stories/experiences on every subject in this hobby. 

I cut my silverslides into smaller pieces, I never thaw the bag(defrosting and refreezing=not good) 

• Like 1
On 10/15/2019 at 7:50 PM, Clown79 said:

There are definitely negative stories/experiences on every subject in this hobby. 

I cut my silverslides into smaller pieces, I never thaw the bag(defrosting and refreezing=not good) 

Hmmm 🤔 

my friend told me the same thing  

very interesthing 

i did go to my local zoo 

and had a very long talk with the marine biologist there that keeps anemones for the aquarium she feeds them silver sides muscles and other peace’s of food she can find locally even fresh shrimp ...

she said that silver sides are not scientifically proven to kill anemones... she adviced to feed the anemone every other week a peace of silver side if that’s  my choice of food and only as big as it’s mouth .. as they to get their energy from the ligth as well 

• Like 1

There's no requirement to feed them directly at all, just so you know.  

They'll be happy in a tank full of fish just subsisting off their leftovers and their waste production.  This is probably the better/more conservative approach IMO.  

The exception might be if you're putting one in a tank that's very new and has few higher animals in it.  

This lack of excess nutrients and waste is one reason folks recommend waiting for anemones until the tank is established.  (So there WILL be food resources for it in the tank.)

Higher animals are notoriously inefficient with their food....usually LOTS of excess N and P in their waste since their food is often used mostly for C(arbon).