Innovative Marine Aquariums

How long for bacteria to establish on biomedia in mature tank?

Dave J

Hi,

I'm in the early stages of planning a new nano tank.  I was thinking I could throw some Matrix or MarinePure gems in the back chamber of my existing tank to seed it with bacteria and then move it to the new tank, but I have no idea how long it would take for bacteria to establish on it.   Anyone have any ideas?  

And, if this is not a good idea because it might mess up the bacteria balance in my existing tank, please let me know.

Thanks!

Personally I would stay away from artificial media unless you know for sure what it's made from.

The best idea would be to seed your new tank with some rock, sand or even detritus (which may actually be the best option) from your old tank.  

Then build livestock levels slowly – don't start off adding groups of animals or anything large that will make a big impact on the bio-filter like a fish. Add just 1-2 things at a time with a few weeks' wait before adding something else...and start with the smallest critters and work your way up.

If you need it, you can optionally replace the rock or sand you took from your main tank with minimal or no side effects.

BTW, check out either of Martin Moe's reef books.

It shouldn't take too long. But I'd approach it like any cycle to be safe. And I'd use a small piece of dry rock to seed. Add it to your current tank and after a week or so move it to the new tank. Even better is if you can use a piece you'd like to use in your new aquascape.

Then approach it like any new tank cycle. Dose enough ammonia to read 2ppm and when its fully converted to NO3 dose it again. When the tank can convert it within 24 hours you're good to go.  And since you seeded it won't take as long as a fresh cycle.