inTank Media Baskets

Help with cycling a pico

roblox84

What does it mean when I have ammonia present but 0 nitrites and approx 20 nitrates? I don't get it, shouldn't some nitrites be present or did the addition of new live rock cause an ammonia spike that just hasn't been converted to nitrite? 

It likely means your tank is partially cycled, and has some of the bacteria you want, but not enough. Give it at least another few days and it should level out.

On 10/12/2019 at 8:10 AM, debbeach13 said:

Hi How long has the tank been set up? Are you using just live rock to start the cycle or did you use any additives? 

I used approx 5 pounds live rock and a few pounds dry rock, no additives. This is a 5 gallon tank BTW. 

And how long has it been set up? Every tank is different and even though nitrite usually is detected before nitrates are. Occasionally testing occurs similar to your results. We will probably never know why. Try testing again to see what if any thing has changed.

It's only been set up about 4 days. I never used live rock always dead rock so this is a little new to me. When I tested the nitrites were at 0, I'll test again tomorrow and see if anything has changed.