Pod Your Reef

Torch arrived with brown jelly disease?

Wingsong

Got two orders in yesterday, one with an assortment of hammers/other corals and one Aussie Gold Torch. Of course it's the Gold Torch that has a problem.

It arrived with a few polyps looking torn and a weird brown mucus on it, dipped it like I did the others and rinsed that all off and went on my way. When I got off work it was the only coral not open at all. Okay, sure, some are fussy, so I moved it to a different spot.

Woke up this morning and it was still clamped shut with more brown mucus. Got off work today and it was gone, just stringy mush. I took it out and tried to scrub the brown jelly off and am dipping it again but I think it's dead. All my other new hammers/old Euphyllia are totally fine and I've never had brown jelly before.

Is this indeed BJD? Would you ask for a refund if a torch came with BJD? It's a pretty pricey purchase to arrive sick IMO...

WYSIWYG pic:

409449391_aussiegoldtorch.thumb.jpg.b2e0ea239ca7305d67cfbf7095b44ed0.jpg

What arrived:

449325721_goldtorchbjd.jpg.332e9c8500ad90098558a395b8ae77dc.jpg

• Sad 3
  • 2 weeks later...

What a bummer!

Buy local so you have more control of transport conditions of the corals you keep.

Can't hurt to talk to the online retailer to at least tell them what happened.  

But IMO you're at their mercy tho since you aren't even gonna be able to go face to face with them.  So good luck!

• Like 1

Id be wanting a refund. I am sure you paid a decent amount for it. 

Are you sure the jelly isnt just expelling Zoo?  

My torch will expel that from time to time. Comes out looking like brown strands.