Coral Vue Hydros

White spots and dark blotches on Clownfish

merickson45

Hi all,

I'm cross posting this here from my new reef tank journal so that it doesn't slip through the cracks. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

"Unfortunately, I think I already have a problem...my clownfish has white spots and some dark discoloration. The white spots could be ich, but I'm not sure about the dark discoloration just behind the eyes. Any ideas?

I'm currently feeding alternately frozen mysis and New Life Spectrum Thera A pellets once a day. The clownfish has been eating everything I put in, and is very active during the day. The tank has been set up since last Sunday, and was already nitrogen cycled (see previous post). Checked nitrates yesterday and they were low, between 2-5 ppm. Should I just feed well and wait this out, or take additional steps?"

20191011_075659.jpg

The white spots started just after I got it last Sunday. The dark discoloration is more recent, last few days. Just to give you an idea, this video shows how it acts most of the day.

Bad news, he didn't make it, found him dead this morning. Still not sure what it was. My water parameters are excellent, and everything else in the tank is doing great. I'm going to hold off on fish in this tank for a while until I have a little more experience and know for sure that the tank can support them. That was my original plan, but the store I went to sold me their display tank (clownfish included) which had been running for a month or two, so I figured he would be fine. Anyways, thanks to everyone for trying to help!

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, merickson45 said:

Bad news, he didn't make it, found him dead this morning. Still not sure what it was. My water parameters are excellent, and everything else in the tank is doing great. I'm going to hold off on fish in this tank for a while until I have a little more experience and know for sure that the tank can support them. That was my original plan, but the store I went to sold me their display tank (clownfish included) which had been running for a month or two, so I figured he would be fine. Anyways, thanks to everyone for trying to help!

Sorry to hear...I am guessing the stress caused disease to take hold. I would leave the tank without fish for 76 days to starve off the parasites as they will still be present in your tank. 

• Like 1