Seth cook

Starting a 20 gallon nano reef

Seth cook

I would like to start a 20 gallon reef tank can you please tell me how to start one and any tips you have to keep corals alive

j.falk

Clown79

Best advice is do a ton of research on

Fishless cycling

Lighting

Water chemistry

Coral needs

Maintenance

Unfortunately it's a very detailed process. 

The more knowledgeable you are the easier it is.

Go through sticky threads, TOTM's, members journals.

mcarroll
On 10/10/2019 at 3:48 PM, Seth cook said:

I would like to start a 20 gallon reef tank can you please tell me how to start one and any tips you have to keep corals alive

What have you read so far book-wise?  Martin Moe's "Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder" used to be standard reading for anyone getting into the hobby and still should be, so that's a great starting point that covers everything.

Holy cow would I avoid the online resources until you have some reading under your belt.

I know most folks don't read anymore, but I stand by this advice.  You can get books FOR CHEAP if you buy used.

If you just can't do books, then at least restrain yourself to the materials on advancedaquarist.com, anything written by Randy Holmes-Farley or Craig Bingman and the documents here on nano-reef -- forum stickies as well as the library articles.  Please don't try to learn to reef from Facebook or from videos.  They could be better than nothing, but are marginal even as supplements IMO. 

Thankfully books are cheap, as mentioned, and easily attainable....from the top of a Google search, no digging required:

Four dollars!!!

His other book is also great.  Some other authors to look for:  Fenner, Borneman, Riddle, Tullock.  Just to name a few!

j.falk

I loved this book when it first came out.  Great info for it's time and easy to understand.

51J4DSSGSVL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

j.falk
3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I know most folks don't read anymore...

I don't believe that to be true.  I think people have become lazy/want the quick, easy answer.  They don't want to invest a large amount of time/experience to find out the answers like we did when there was no internet.  

My first saltwater aquarium was a 10 gallon tank with a power filter, undergravel filter and crushed coral.  My saltwater bible back then was the Instant Ocean Handbook...I used to read it daily until I had memorized the entire thing and then I applied the information to gain my own knowledge.

Those days are long gone...but that is how it was done back then.  I learned by attempting to do.  I wanted firsthand experience...because, and I still believe this to be true, doing something helps a person retain the knowledge better than simply hearing or reading the answer from someone else.  

The links I posted are not an end all to how to do a saltwater aquarium...there is much more to learn...but they are a good starting point to reference on what you need (equipment wise) when getting started.

51xDwRi1+pL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg