Pod Your Reef

Clownfish stocking sequence

RBReefing

Hello, 

I started a Red Sea Nano Max (20 gal). I put in 20 lbs of live sand, 15 lbs of Carib Sea Life Rock and marine pure bio hex gems (rated for 70 gallons). I also have been using Tropic Marine coral salt. I started the tank/cycle 3 weeks ago. I started the cycle by adding a medium bottle of Dr, Tims ( for 60 gallons) and dosing Dr Tims Ammonia Chloride to 2 ppm. The cycle took way longer than I anticipated. The Ammonia was in check relatively fast but the Nitrites took foooorever. I did several water changes thinking that maybe it stalled out. In any event everything eventually went to 0 and for the past week I have been adding Ammonia. Since everything went to 0 initially I have re-dosed to 2 ppm Ammonia and parameters went back to 0 in 1.5 days, then dosed 1 ppm Ammonia and everything went back to 0 in about 1.5 days. (except Nitrates of course, they are at 40 PPM now). I plan on adding 2 Gladiator Clowns and a yellow watchman goby and corals. I was going/hoping to start with the clowns. I was going to do a 50% water change before this to bring down Nitrates.

So my question is... I know people say to add things slowly to allow the bio load/ bacteria to adjust. But because it is a small tank and clowns can be aggressive towards each other how should I add them? 2 at same time and throw in some more Dr Tims at that same time? One at a time? Yellow watchman first? Do the CUC first? I do have a little algae but it looks like it would not support a small CUC for long. I am concerned just with how long the Nitrites took to develop the bacteria into Nitrates that adding 2 at a time will be dangerous to the clowns.

What would be your recommended sequence for adding the three fish and CUC? Could I start now or wait some more?

Also... I run a Apex EL (only temp and PH probes), Tunze 3155 ATO, Jebao r-w4, Red Sea Reef LED 50, and Titanium heater 100w, API SW test kit ( I know 😃 ). If any of that matters for the question 😃  

I do not plan on quarantining at this point or adding coral for a little bit. 

Cheers in advance!

Sounds like your good to go... I would had the goby and a small cuc of a couple snails and hermits. Wait for a month and add the clowns..  just a heads up if you do a 50 percent wc your nitrates will only go to 20ppm, if it were me I would do a larger wc and get them down to 5ish..

• Like 1