Pod Your Reef

Tiny worms on glass?

MoonBreezy

Sorry i can't get better images because these things are TINY. Biggest one I've found is like 1mm long. They are white with a rusty looking center. There's tons of them on my glass. Any idea? I can't find anything remotely similar online

Some history: i used to have a freshwater tank with mopani wood that i got from petco and plants i bought from various online retailers. That tank became absolutely infested with tiny free swimming worms kind of like these right here which caused me to tear down that tank. I bought this current tank and tried to set it up as freshwater. I ended up reusing the mopani wood because i thought since i had left it out to dry for over a year that anything that was on or in it would be dead. That was a mistake. The same worms came back, and i once again tore it all down and this time i tossed the wood. Well i ended up cleaning the tank, and decided to set it up as saltwater. All of this to say that these might be the same worms and may not be your typical reef hitchhiker. These however don't seem to be free swimming as i only see them on the glass, and these have orange-rust colored sections in their mid body

20191009_175523.jpg

20191009_175302.jpg

20191010_165503.jpg

20191010_165404.jpg

Edited by MoonBreezy
Got some better pictures, added some history

look up detritus worms.  It's hard to tell from the picture, but kinda looks like those.  When I started feeding my tank heavy, I noticed some on my walls and every now and then one floating through the water.  From what I read they aren't bad for the tank, but a lot could mean something was up with your tank.  I stopped feeding heavy and didn't notice them as much.

Okay, interesting. I only have 2 clowns in there which i feed flake food and normally i drop flakes in 1 at a time to ensure they eat all the food i put in there, and i only feed once a day. Maybe a deep cleaning is needed, because i also have a TON of pineapple sponges, both in my display and in the rear chambers

Edit: i just looked, i think you're right. These are probably juvenile and will grow to the length that I'm seeing in google images or die off. Thanks! That's a load off

• Like 1