Coral Vue Hydros

? on bottom intake

sadie

6 hours ago, sadie said:

I have read that some people block off the bottom intake on their Biocube.  I was wondering why?

It allows water to join the filtration from lower in the water column. If you block this off it improves the filtration of the tank as it forces water the enter through the weir and fall through the filter media. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, sadie said:

ahhh, I see.  So how would one block the lower intake?  Sounds like a good idea to me.

I don't have the same tank but I use a thin food safe plastic to cover mine. Acrylic will worka s well

36 minutes ago, sadie said:

I usually use super glue gel, but not sure that will work underwater.  What else could I use?

Ah the tanks full.

Is it super glue gel? That will still work underwater but you'll need to apply a slight twist.

Reef putty? 

It is the gel.  I will try it.  I think I will glue it on the inside the chamber. (I think my arm can fit all the way down there).  That way it won't be seen from the tank side.  I also think I will let the gel set for a little bit before sticking it.  If I don't get it tight enough though, water will still seep through it.

• Like 1

dang it, there is a piece of plastic that is like the bottom, but NOT the bottom.  I can't get to the intake from the chamber.  Why would they do that?  I wonder what lurks in there?  😬  Is there anything I can do without taking my tank apart and gluing something ugly to the wall?  Maybe just fill the holes in the intake in with black silicone?  

Just now, sadie said:

dang it, there is a piece of plastic that is like the bottom, but NOT the bottom.  I can't get to the intake from the chamber.  Why would they do that?  I wonder what lurks in there?  😬  Is there anything I can do without taking my tank apart and gluing something ugly to the wall?  Maybe just fill the holes in the intake in with black silicone?  

I was mid seepage joke as well then. 

Yeah thatd work.

It has a false bottom?

ahhhh, yes, now that you say that, I did read something about a false bottom.  I couldn't find it.  😆  Had no idea what they were talking about.  Hmmm I will have to think about this for a bit.  I could use the black silicone, but wouldn't put any of my calking guns in the tank not to mention they just wouldn't fit with that angle.  I could probably use something to "smear" it over it.  But all this sounds a little crazy with all my fish and new coral in there.

Maybe I can think of a way to get the false bottom out.  exacto knife maybe?