Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New tank set up

Erik13

I’m about to be setting up a 10 gallon reef tank with live rock and filtration from a running 80 gallon along with the 2 clown fish that a re currently in the 80 gallon. is there anything i should keep in mind when setting it up? This will be my first saltwater tank so I’m new to it. Been keeping fresh water for about 10 years now

That’s what I figured I was planning on doing 10 -20% water change a week if needed other then coral is there anything else I can add to the tank

Here is the list I normally use. It recommended 2-3 fish for ten gallon. I would recommend shrimp goby and pistol shrimp pair. They are very interesting to watch but you will need at least a 2” sand bed. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the information that’s going to help a lot I have a feeling that this new tank won’t be my only saltwater tank when I get the hang of it lol. 

• Like 1

Well just got the live rock and filter situated in the tank last night it came from the tank I’m getting the fish from would it be alright to add the clownfish today I tested the water for ammonia and nitrite and all seemed good

If I'm with you on the story, it should have been fine to add the fish and live rock all at once if they were coming from the same established tank.

I'm just not 100% sure if I understand you correctly that they are all from the same original tank since you said you did not have salt water before this.  It sounded like you said they were from the 80 gallon, but you said that already has angelfish in it.  if it was from the 80 gallon, I'm not sure I understand how you are downsizing that into a 10 gallon. What all will be left over from the 80 and what will you do with all of it?  Am I completely off?

i Was given the 80 gallon with the clownfish but moved them and the rock to the 10 gallon so far they seem happy and active I’m really enjoying they little guys I’m already planning on upgrading the tank to something a little bit bigger 

357BED06-D2F1-4958-AFEF-7619EF2FC8C9.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m sorry I should’ve been more clear on that my daughter has the angelfish already but will upgrade them to the 80 the only thing that was in the 80 when I got it was the 2 clownfish and a bunch of live rock. I hope that cleared that up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, but it depends on what you like!  I do not recommend "beginner corals" however, unless for some reason one of more of them are what you happen to really like.

Don't get "trial corals" though....that's just a good way to get something in your tank you don't really want......I have mushrooms in my SPS tank to this day....for no better reason that nobody cluing me into this sooner. 😆

There are great starter corals of all types!  So let me know what you like.  (If you haven't figuered that out yet, then that's your homework.  Do you have a book on corals that you can read through?  

Sprung's short book on corals, titled "Corals: A Quick Reference Guide" is EXCELLENT for this.  Shimek's Marine Invertebrates isn't great too.  If you had one or both, you'd be off to a good start.  Borneman's manual on corals, "Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History" is more of a tome, but also excellent.

Get what you can/want and start with something, but I'd recommend ideally to have all three PLUS a general reference like Moe's book "The Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner To Breeder".

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Yes, but it depends on what you like!  I do not recommend "beginner corals" however, unless for some reason one of more of them are what you happen to really like.

Don't get "trial corals" though....that's just a good way to get something in your tank you don't really want......I have mushrooms in my SPS tank to this day....for no better reason that nobody cluing me into this sooner. 😆

There are great starter corals of all types!  So let me know what you like.  (If you haven't figuered that out yet, then that's your homework.  Do you have a book on corals that you can read through?  

Sprung's short book on corals, titled "Corals: A Quick Reference Guide" is EXCELLENT for this.  Shimek's Marine Invertebrates isn't great too.  If you had one or both, you'd be off to a good start.  Borneman's manual on corals, "Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History" is more of a tome, but also excellent.

Get what you can/want and start with something, but I'd recommend ideally to have all three PLUS a general reference like Moe's book "The Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner To Breeder".

I was thinking about zoanthids to start with but wasn’t sure how hard they are to keep I amp up for a good book I’ll look into those books

5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

What light do you have? You need to take that into consideration as some corals have higher light demands than others. 

I’m not sure what the lights are but it’s the same lights that came with the tank I got. I was told they were meant for corals. 

One of the harder "beginner corals"....they seem to be more pest-prone than just about any other coral, and they seem very moody as well.

They also tend to be toxic, so there is some risk associated with handling them, which you can read up on so it's not a surprise.  But I can't think of any other toxic corals, so...

42 minutes ago, Erik13 said:

I’m not sure what the lights are but it’s the same lights that came with the tank I got. I was told they were meant for corals. 

Can you take a photo of them? 

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Can you take a photo of them? 

I’ll try to get a good picture tomorrow. They are bright they about light but a whole room

• Like 1