Pod Your Reef

Pistol Shrimp and Watchman Goby Question

LesPaulGtr

Hi All.  So this past Thursday, I added a Yellow Watchman Goby/Red Banded Pistol Shrimp "Pair" that I bought online to my tank.  I added the shrimp first (I think that's where I messed up) - he freaked out for a bit and made a bee-line for the rock on the right (see below).  The goby got added next and explored the tank while the 2 clownfish were utterly confused.  For the rest of the day, the shrimp started poking out moving some sand bits out of the rock holes, but didn't exit the rocks at all.  The goby and shrimp never ended up seeing each other.

Now, I haven't seen the shrimp since Thursday.  I know he's alive since if a hermit crab goes near the rock hole I hear a clicking/popping noise, but he refuses to be seen even when feeding time.  The goby is fine, doing goby things chilling under rocks (see bottom left in pic).

Is there a way to get the shrimp out to have them "re-introduced"?  I'm thinking there might be a way to trap him and put them both in a container for a bit.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0568.thumb.jpg.efd31cfbcc74f7c7d358f53aafbcde9f.jpg

5 minutes ago, LesPaulGtr said:

Hi All.  So this past Thursday, I added a Yellow Watchman Goby/Red Banded Pistol Shrimp "Pair" that I bought online to my tank.  I added the shrimp first (I think that's where I messed up) - he freaked out for a bit and made a bee-line for the rock on the right (see below).  The goby got added next and explored the tank while the 2 clownfish were utterly confused.  For the rest of the day, the shrimp started poking out moving some sand bits out of the rock holes, but didn't exit the rocks at all.  The goby and shrimp never ended up seeing each other.

Now, I haven't seen the shrimp since Thursday.  I know he's alive since if a hermit crab goes near the rock hole I hear a clicking/popping noise, but he refuses to be seen even when feeding time.  The goby is fine, doing goby things chilling under rocks (see bottom left in pic).

Is there a way to get the shrimp out to have them "re-introduced"?  I'm thinking there might be a way to trap him and put them both in a container for a bit.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0568.thumb.jpg.efd31cfbcc74f7c7d358f53aafbcde9f.jpg

^yep. They’ll work it out. Sometimes I won’t see either one of mine for weeks.  I don’t even feed them directly. 

Thank you @patback @WV Reefer.  I guess I was a little disappointed they haven't done their "thing" yet.  Is it that the shrimp is in a new surroundings that he won't come out and needs more time to feel comfortable?  Will he even come out long enough for the goby to notice him?

Thanks again.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, LesPaulGtr said:

Thank you @patback @WV Reefer.  I guess I was a little disappointed they haven't done their "thing" yet.  Is it that the shrimp is in a new surroundings that he won't come out and needs more time to feel comfortable?  Will he even come out long enough for the goby to notice him?

Thanks again.

Hard to say. Chances are that the goby will hop around place to place and find the shrimp though.  

• Like 1