ReefCleaners.org

JBJ 6g nano- exact lighting (want something controllable) and some form of lid/antisplash

Tired

Hello all, 

I'm debating light choices for a 6gal nano. I want to keep soft corals, rock flower anemones, and mmmaybe an easy SPS up at the very top at some point in the future. The tank looks like the below, and is listed as being 11" deep and 13.5" by 12" floor plan. 

JBJ 6G Nano Cube Replacement Tank Only

I want a light that I can adjust the colors of myself, to find something that I like the look of. Either a (decent) phone app or controller would be fine. I'd like if it can be programmed to gradually turn on and off, but that's not mandatory. What is mandatory is that I need it to be silent. I'm leaning away from the AI Prime lights, because I'm reading that the fans are audible. 

I see a lot of people like the Kessil lights, but there are a lot of different versions. Can anyone advise on the best one of those to use, maybe? I'm going to want to keep it more towards the white end of things, closer to what it would look like in natural sunlight, but with enough blue to pop them a little. The A80 Tuna Blues look pretty nice. 

Additionally, I'd really prefer that all the salt stay inside the aquarium. I don't want to have salt accumulating on things around it, I hate the texture. I'd also like to prevent evap as much as possible. I was thinking of just putting a sheet of glass or acrylic on top of the tank, with some gaps for air exchange, but I'm worried it would end up reflecting some of the light into the eyes of anyone next to the tank. I suppose I could probably angle the lid a little bit to prevent that, but has anyone tried anything like this? Would a hole directly under the light prevent any reflection? 

I think the A80 would probably do for what you want but you will have to spend more to get control with a phone or by using their spectral controller. An AI Prime, possibly used, might be a better investment and could grow with a future upgrade with full WiFi and out of home control and no extra add on.

I don't think salt creep will be as big of an issue as you think it is. I have a 13.5g Evo running rimless and the only creep I get is on the front corner of the glass and it's just the tiniest bit I wipe away every 3 days or so. I would try without a lid and use one as a last resort. I don't think they're worth the trouble with condensation and lack of gas exchange. I actually found I had more salt creep in an old Biocube with the hood on. If you do get salt creep, just wipe away with a damp paper towel, no texture to be concerned about feeling.

• Like 1

I've heard that the Primes are noisy and the app is iffy, so I'm not too enthusiastic on them, even though everything else about them is great. Plus, them having a cooling fan is one more part that could wear out or break, so a light that doesn't have a fan would be pretty nice. 

How much more are we talking? Because I suspect it'll work out cheaper than buying a Prime anyway. I'm basically comparing everything I could potentially get to the Prime. 

My concern is less about creep, and more about those ultra-tiny bits of water that can sort of float out. The open-top tanks at my LFS get a very fine dust of salt around them, which I gather is pretty common, and I loathe that texture. I don't want it collecting on my desk. 

Well the A80 is $129 and the Spectral Controller is $99. So to get control like the Prime you're spending $30 more with no true remote control. I have had a Prime running since 2016. The app has come a long way and I have no problems with it now. The cloud control is handy to have. I think it might be the best app for a light out there control and intuitive use wise. I use a Reeflink for my MP-10 and their cloud is not as friendly. The fan noise is there which is the only downside. My tank sits about 3ft from me and I can hear the fan if I really focus on it but 90% of the time I'm focused on other things and it's drowned out by my mind or other noise. It sounds like a laptop fan running, it's not very loud.

• 4 weeks later...