Top Shelf Aquatics

? on placing new coral

sadie

the zoas I got on Friday, have not only NOT opened up, but now they look like they are shrinking.  I moved them down a bit in the tank and a little less flow.  Not sure how long I should have waited, but I felt like I should do something.

How were they transported? In water the whole time, or exposed? They can throw a fit for longer if they were exposed to the air. 

Shrinking is a bad sign, though. Did you dip them in anything or check for pests? 

They were transported in a bag of water, placed in a box, supported by news paper.  I have an hour drive.  I acclimated them in the bag in my tank while I got the coral rx solution ready (heat and salinity same as my tank).  I then put them in a bucket with the coral rx and a power head for 10 minutes, did a visual check for stuff and saw nothing.  BUT, I did have them out of the water for a bit when I glued them to the rock island.  😬

They started to open up the first day I put them in, but are really closed up now.

If they started to open up, but closed again, something bothered them. Update if they open up all the way, but if not, I'd take a close look for bothersome things. Do you have crabs or shrimp that could be walking on them? 

I have a cleaner shrimp and the 2 fish, but haven't seen any of them over there.  I will leave them here for a couple days and see if they like it.  They didn't open up all the way on Friday, just enough to see some color.  Then they closed up tight, and looked like they were getting smaller).  I didn't want to move them too soon (I have learned doing too much is just as bad as doing nothing).  Now I am seeing some color again, but not fully opened

• 3 weeks later...

Wter parameters please?  Big 5: ca, alk, mg, no3, po4

On 10/6/2019 at 11:04 AM, sadie said:

I acclimated them in the bag in my tank while I got the coral rx solution ready

How long were they left in the bag this way?

On 10/6/2019 at 11:04 AM, sadie said:

BUT, I did have them out of the water for a bit when I glued them to the rock island.  😬

I guess it's probably not universal, but polyps like this are kinda known for being inter-tidal so at least theoretically they shouldn't be tweaked by a few minutes out of the water.  Except...

You may have washed away their protective slime by the pre-treatments/dips you did.  

It would be much more ideal (if not practical) to monitor corals for problems rather that treating them for "anything possible" which is really kinda crazy when you think about it.  (There's no treatment that works against "anything".)

Assuming the worst and acting on that assumption – even sounds crazy when you say it.  When is assuming the worst really the best thing to do???  When is assuming anything the best course?  Hardly every, if at all.  You know what my 11th Grade teacher said about the word "assume"?  ASS-U-ME  It makes an ass out of you and me.  (That's a good way to get the attention of 11th Graders. 😆)  The lesson: Don't make assumptions when you don't have to.

Hopefully they're just being temperamental and it actually has nothing to do with any of this and they'll just open miraculously as zoanthids are wont to do.

But just in case, let's not make assumptions. 😉  Let us know those parameters!  

34 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Wter parameters please?  Big 5: ca, alk, mg, no3, po4

How long were they left in the bag this way?

I guess it's probably not universal, but polyps like this are kinda known for being inter-tidal so at least theoretically they shouldn't be tweaked by a few minutes out of the water.  Except...

You may have washed away their protective slime by the pre-treatments/dips you did.  

It would be much more ideal (if not practical) to monitor corals for problems rather that treating them for "anything possible" which is really kinda crazy when you think about it.  (There's no treatment that works against "anything".)

Assuming the worst and acting on that assumption – even sounds crazy when you say it.  When is assuming the worst really the best thing to do???  When is assuming anything the best course?  Hardly every, if at all.  You know what my 11th Grade teacher said about the word "assume"?  ASS-U-ME  It makes an ass out of you and me.  (That's a good way to get the attention of 11th Graders. 😆)  The lesson: Don't make assumptions when you don't have to.

Hopefully they're just being temperamental and it actually has nothing to do with any of this and they'll just open miraculously as zoanthids are wont to do.

But just in case, let's not make assumptions. 😉  Let us know those parameters!  

you're all over today, you on vacation?  😉  The zoas are opening, but they don't all open at once.  Some will be fully open, while others are partial or closed.  It's not always the same ones open or closed.  I think it just took a bit for them to get comfy in my tank.

I am having a problem with high KH (post on here somewhere).  

Sal.-1.025

KH-12

Mag-1320

Cal- 430

amonia, phos, trates all 0 (tested phos today)

• Like 1

More like this is part of my job, but no not at work either. 😉

There's not really such a thing as "high alk"....folks forget how high we used to keep alk on purpose before dosers came out.

It's all related to nutrients being way too low.

That "could be" what's tweakng your zonanthids for sure...did I already post on the other thread?  (Link?)

• Like 1

I have a few colonies of zoas ... the ones which look the healthiest are the ones in the shade of a green leather and another under a large soft gorgonian. It is a nice effect having them under there... kind of like flowers planted under a tree!

The ones out in the open are not open as often as the others... but they still look healthy enough. 

As far as time goes, some corals take weeks to establish. Zoas are easy corals to keep so a few days you should see some improvement.

I am "Assuming" your parameters are all good🙄...

• Like 1

because I increased my feeding to help with the dinos, I notice a little green algae on my zoas.  Should I try and remove it, or leave it?  ONe of the zoas is on my rock where crabs can get it, but the other is on an island on my wall.

If you can get it by hand, then may as well go for it and pull it out.  That or place a snail right on it so it doesn't have to find it on its own...see if the snail will eat it.  If not, it's up to you.

Sounds like things are heading in the right direction!   If your CUC might be a little undersized (ie algae pops back after you pull it), consider adding a few more to see if it helps. 

If not, then add a few more, remembering the trick about placing them right on the algae.  They have a good topographic map in their tiny little brain, BTW, so once an algae location is logged, they'll be back! 

You just need enough of them to cover the whole tank....you could potentially work your way up to 1-2 big snails per gallon.  Don't add too fast, but also don't be shy about adding.

1 minute ago, mcarroll said:

If you can get it by hand, then may as well go for it and pull it out.  That or place a snail right on it so it doesn't have to find it on its own...see if the snail will eat it.  If not, it's up to you.

Sounds like things are heading in the right direction!   If your CUC might be a little undersized (ie algae pops back after you pull it), consider adding a few more to see if it helps. 

If not, then add a few more, remembering the trick about placing them right on the algae.  They have a good topographic map in their tiny little brain, BTW, so once an algae location is logged, they'll be back! 

You just need enough of them to cover the whole tank....you could potentially work your way up to 1-2 big snails per gallon.  Don't add too fast, but also don't be shy about adding.