Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

starting a nano reef

stanginthe11s

stanginthe11s

hi all, new to the forum and im looking into building a nano.   so years ago i had a few marine tanks between 60 and 100 gal so im not new to it, but nano is new for me. I still have some of the equipment from those tanks so i was wondering if i could build a setup using that stuff or would it be too much as far as filtration and lighting?   also, my plan is a clown tank if that matters

• Like 1

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com!

30 minutes ago, stanginthe11s said:

so years ago i had a few marine tanks between 60 and 100 gal so im not new to it

You might be surprised just how similar a nano tank is to larger tanks.  The same principles apply.  Sure some of the equipment is geared and sized for smaller tanks, and larger % water changes tend to be easier, more practical, and/or more relied upon in these smaller tanks.

36 minutes ago, stanginthe11s said:

I still have some of the equipment from those tanks so i was wondering if i could build a setup using that stuff or would it be too much as far as filtration and lighting?

I guess it depends on the equipment (like if the lights are dimmable and the powerheads adjustable).  However, in general, I'd say that most of your equipment is probably usable.

We'd like to hear more about your plans and what equipment you have available to you.

• Like 2
stanginthe11s

I will have to dig through what i saved, i know I kept my filter which was a fluval fx6 from my 60 gal as well as some live rock which of course isnt so live lol but it was cleaned and makes good base rock. the light is buried but i believe it was about 24-30” long and took 2? hi output 4 pin bulbs don’t remember the wattage.   My plans are to hopefully have something a little simpler and was thinking a clown and anemone thank, nothing too crazy. I’ve been down the road of big tanks and im not up for the constant maintenance anymore, it’s alot easier to change 2 gallons of water and use less chems in a smaller setup. Im assuming my only concern would be maintenance timing since theres less buffer and spikes happen quicker?  are there any concerns that come with nano setups?

1 hour ago, stanginthe11s said:

some live rock which of course isnt so live lol but it was cleaned and makes good base rock

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

the light is buried but i believe it was about 24-30” long and took 2? hi output 4 pin bulbs don’t remember the wattage

Sounds like a compact fluorescent fixture.  Not sure if replacement bulbs will be easy to find or not.  If not, maybe time to move to a LED (or even T5HO).

was thinking a clown and anemone tank... I'm assuming my only concern would be maintenance timing since there's less buffer and spikes happen quicker?

Without stony corals, you probably won't need to worry about dosing, testing, consumption, etc.  Weekly partial water changes should be adequate.

are there any concerns that come with nano setups?

You'll find that there are less choices for livestock (especially fish).  Territory disputes and aggression may also be more apparent.

4 hours ago, stanginthe11s said:

I'm looking into building a nano

How many gallons are you thinking?

stanginthe11s

well i was thinking 10 gal and i was wrong about the light its a current 36” with 2 twin tube bulbs so ill be looking at new lights.

so a few clowns an anemone or 2 and maybe some polyps for color?  I already see ill be going back to a big tank again lol.  I also see fish as well as other stuff has doubled or tripled in price, terrible.

• Like 1

Would suggest getting more gallons than what you plan for then stock according to the care level you desire - unless you're into building sump tanks and DIY plumbing stuff. E.g. if you want a fully stocked 10, go bigger and give yourself more margin or error against parm swings.

All-in-one BioCubes like mine have their advantages and disadvantages in terms of flow, filtration and the like, but they are pretty good for low-input hobbyists.

The general recommendation for keeping bubble tip anemone long term is a 30 gal. If you go with the biocube you will likely need to upgrade the lighting to keep BTA. 

If if your set on the 10 gallon you could do torch coral instead for a similar effect. And could get away with lower lighting then a BTA. 

stanginthe11s

i appreciate all the help, basically what im understanding is there is no real difference from nano and large tanks other than scaling down.  I measured my sons 20 gal lizard thank and it was 30” long which makes it possible to use my lighting, my only concern would be is 200 watts overkill but I could change bulbs and lighting distance to compensate i suppose.