Coral Vue Hydros

Nano marinus 16g

Aqua16

Hey nano-reef-forum! 😊

I’m currently thinking about converting my 60l dennerle tank (around 16 gallons) into a nano reef. I have experience with freshwater but am a complete noob when it comes to saltwater. This site has been a tremendous help and inspiration and so I thought why not just ask my questions here? So here goes:

1. I currently have a 25W heater, dennerle filter and the dennerle 8W LED. I would obviously have to switch out the light, would I be able to keep corals with the Fluval Sea Nano?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could stock?

So far my wishlist (not set in stone) looks like this..

Stocking:

• A pair of ocellaris
  • a yellow clown goby
  • cleanup crew (3x hermit crabs, 3x nassarius snails, 3x trochus snails, perhaps some peppermint shrimp?)

2.   Could I add another small fish to this? One final one, I know      

its a very thin line between balance and overstocking,

especially for a beginner like me.

Then the basics setup of course (sandbed, some life rock and some dry rock). For filtration, I was thinking either a Aquaclear70 HOB sump or a generic glass aquarium under the tank with a pump and some tubing to build a custom sump?

And I would still need a powerhead in both cases, correct?

3.   Is a skimmer necessary?

4.   Any suggestions for softies or beginner SPS/LPS I could

potentially keep?

I’d appreciate any advice you could give me, thank you for your help! ☺️

7 hours ago, Aqua16 said:

Hey nano-reef-forum! 😊

I’m currently thinking about converting my 60l dennerle tank (around 16 gallons) into a nano reef. I have experience with freshwater but am a complete noob when it comes to saltwater. This site has been a tremendous help and inspiration and so I thought why not just ask my questions here? So here goes:

1. I currently have a 25W heater, dennerle filter and the dennerle 8W LED. I would obviously have to switch out the light, would I be able to keep corals with the Fluval Sea Nano?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could stock?

So far my wishlist (not set in stone) looks like this..

Stocking:

• A pair of ocellaris
  • a yellow clown goby
  • cleanup crew (3x hermit crabs, 3x nassarius snails, 3x trochus snails, perhaps some peppermint shrimp?)

2.   Could I add another small fish to this? One final one, I know      

its a very thin line between balance and overstocking,

especially for a beginner like me.

Then the basics setup of course (sandbed, some life rock and some dry rock). For filtration, I was thinking either a Aquaclear70 HOB sump or a generic glass aquarium under the tank with a pump and some tubing to build a custom sump?

And I would still need a powerhead in both cases, correct?

3.   Is a skimmer necessary?

4.   Any suggestions for softies or beginner SPS/LPS I could

potentially keep?

I’d appreciate any advice you could give me, thank you for your help! ☺️

Hi and welcome

NR is a great place, so much valuable info and great folks here 

I don't know much about the fluval light but if I remember correctly a few ppl weren't happy with it.

There are a lot of lighting options in various budgets. Do you have a budget?

What corals would you like to have? 

A skimmer isn't necessary on a nano and in some cases causes low to no nutrients- each system is different so I often believe start without one and if you need it later, it can be added after 

A lot of ppl use an hob, often converting to house not only media but heater too.

In some cases ppl add chaeto to it as well. You could even do 2 smaller hobs 1 for fuge, 1 for media.

Check out the seachem tidal, that's an awesome hob with built in surface skimmer(it helps a lot).

You can make a sump with a standard tank under the display, I've never done it myself but there are plenty of diy plans online.

2 clowns and 1 small fish would be the max for 16g to keep things balanced.

Sps that are fairly easy: monti cap, monti digitata, birdsnest.

Lps- blastomussa, acans, favia, fungia plate, duncans, chalice, euphyllia

Softies- ricordea mushrooms, leathers, gsp, and xenia.

Xenia and gsp can spread quickly so keeping them to their own rock is best but eventually they need pruning like plants(you can frag and sell or trade them)

Thank you so much! That helps a lot 😊

I’m in college as of right now so I am a bit limited when it comes to budget, would I be able to get a good LED light in the 150€ range? My limit for the light would probably be around 200..?

I would probably go with building a small custom sump under the tank, if the pump was strong enough would that be enough in terms of water movement? Or would I still need a powerhead, additionally?

I’ve read contrasting information on how many cleaners should go in a nano tank, any suggestions on what has worked for you?

As for the stocking, I’d stick with the 2 ocellaris and the mini goby, they are just too cute!

When it comes to corals, I’m pretty open as to what I would want to keep.

I know that anemones aren’t absolutely necessary when it comes to keeping clowns and I’ve heard they are quite hard to keep alive, too. But is there maybe an option better suited for a beginner that the clowns would bond to? Thinking it would be a lot more natural for them if they had a “home”?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions 😅

4 hours ago, Aqua16 said:

Thank you so much! That helps a lot 😊

I’m in college as of right now so I am a bit limited when it comes to budget, would I be able to get a good LED light in the 150€ range? My limit for the light would probably be around 200..?

I would probably go with building a small custom sump under the tank, if the pump was strong enough would that be enough in terms of water movement? Or would I still need a powerhead, additionally?

I’ve read contrasting information on how many cleaners should go in a nano tank, any suggestions on what has worked for you?

As for the stocking, I’d stick with the 2 ocellaris and the mini goby, they are just too cute!

When it comes to corals, I’m pretty open as to what I would want to keep.

I know that anemones aren’t absolutely necessary when it comes to keeping clowns and I’ve heard they are quite hard to keep alive, too. But is there maybe an option better suited for a beginner that the clowns would bond to? Thinking it would be a lot more natural for them if they had a “home”?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions 😅

Clowns will choose their home no matter what's in the tank.

My 1 clown in my 20g where there are torches, elegance, and 3 bta's- hosts the back wall, he used to sleep in xenia. 

My other clowns have hosted frogspawn and duncans.

So no matter what you add, they ultimately choose if they want to host a coral, a pump, a wall, a rock.

You will need a powerhead in the tank. A good affordable option is the hydor, then you have jebao, aqamai, mp10

There are a lot of various lighting option that work in various budgets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIPARGERO-LED-Aquarium-Light-Saltwater/dp/B0757DW5M9/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=reef+led+lighting&qid=1570199184&sprefix=reef+led+&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzS04zSVpIUVUwN0hGJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjE3OTY0MzBXUzRKQzFWRDc0UiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDIxODgxMjZSVVc4UlBZMTdPRyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIPARSPECTRA-Control-Aquarium-Dimmable-Spectrum/dp/B07HG5GV5V/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=reef+led+lighting&qid=1570199196&sprefix=reef+led+&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-Light-Tuna-Blue-Gooseneck/dp/B01LW8U9QP/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=reef+led+lighting&qid=1570199196&sprefix=reef+led+&sr=8-7

Here are a few light options that are used often and recommended

• Like 1

Wow, that is incredibly helpful! I can’t thank you enough, really!!

I’ll update as soon as there’s been any progress.

Good luck with your own tanks for the time being, they look amazing 😊

• Like 2
On 10/6/2019 at 2:12 PM, Aqua16 said:

Wow, that is incredibly helpful! I can’t thank you enough, really!!

I’ll update as soon as there’s been any progress.

Good luck with your own tanks for the time being, they look amazing 😊

Thank you 

Good luck 

• Like 1
On 10/3/2019 at 11:41 AM, Clown79 said:

Hi and welcome

NR is a great place, so much valuable info and great folks here 

I don't know much about the fluval light but if I remember correctly a few ppl weren't happy with it.

There are a lot of lighting options in various budgets. Do you have a budget?

What corals would you like to have? 

A skimmer isn't necessary on a nano and in some cases causes low to no nutrients- each system is different so I often believe start without one and if you need it later, it can be added after 

A lot of ppl use an hob, often converting to house not only media but heater too.

In some cases ppl add chaeto to it as well. You could even do 2 smaller hobs 1 for fuge, 1 for media.

Check out the seachem tidal, that's an awesome hob with built in surface skimmer(it helps a lot).

You can make a sump with a standard tank under the display, I've never done it myself but there are plenty of diy plans online.

2 clowns and 1 small fish would be the max for 16g to keep things balanced.

Sps that are fairly easy: monti cap, monti digitata, birdsnest.

Lps- blastomussa, acans, favia, fungia plate, duncans, chalice, euphyllia

Softies- ricordea mushrooms, leathers, gsp, and xenia.

Xenia and gsp can spread quickly so keeping them to their own rock is best but eventually they need pruning like plants(you can frag and sell or trade them)

Fluval recently released a new 3.0 version of the Marine Nano LED which seems to be a pretty decent little light.  I've got one of the Fluval Planted 3.0 Nanos and I really like it.  I'm strongly considering a pair of the Marine 3.0 Nanos for my Evo 13.5.   Most of the user complaints I've found online were regarding the older version.   The new version is bluetooth controlled, 20 watts, fanless, IP67 and has a 3 yr warranty - not bad for under $100.