ReefCleaners.org

Help id something on zoa

nano427

I just saw this white thing growing on my zoas.  I removed from aquarium just in case its bad. Sorry for bad pic quality its the best i could get.

60612F64-B367-43A4-9FC3-BB34FE83DB7E.jpeg

• Like 1

Where did you get those, and how long have you had them? Did the things just appear? 

Are they radiating out from multiple central points, like small anemones? They don't appear to be, which makes me think it's probably some form of sponge, but it does look a bit like anemone tentacles.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tired said:

Where did you get those, and how long have you had them? Did the things just appear? 

Are they radiating out from multiple central points, like small anemones? They don't appear to be, which makes me think it's probably some form of sponge, but it does look a bit like anemone tentacles.

Thank you for the reply. I just noticed them yesterday, and removed it from the tank right away. I think it is one continuous colony of it, it does not appear to be anemone-like.  I don’t know where it came from, most likely on the frag plug that the zoas are growing on. I’ve had the zoas approximately 2 months 

• Like 1

In that case, I'd say probably a sponge or something of the sort, especially since it didn't appear to be stinging the zoas. Completely harmless. IMO, leave it in, though you can probably get it out with tweezers if you don't like it. 

Also, in the future, you don't need to worry about removing sessile organisms like this. If it's not moving under its own power, it's not likely to escape, spread, or anything else in the few hours it takes you to figure out what's going on, and being removed freaks your corals out. I understand the impulse, though.

• Like 1