Sinibotia

My first reef tank

Sinibotia

Hello all, this is the start of my first reef tank. I'm hoping to document everything here so I can see how things progress and get feedback as I go. This is my first reef tank, but I have had extensive success with even difficult freshwater fish so I'm confident that I can take on the challenge of a nano reef.

3PlHGZ5.jpg

This is the tank so far. It's a standard 10 gallon.

I have about 3 inches of crushed coral sand, 10 pounds of cured live rock, a koralia 240 nano pump, an aquaclear 50 that I'm still deciding what to put in (chaeto, purigen, chemipure, carbon?). The heater is a hydor 50 watt heater.

Light is going to be a Current USA Orbit Marine 18" light.

Salinity is currently 1.026, temperature is 80 degrees (both will be lowered before I start stocking), and ammonia is 1.0ppm(dosed in order to cycle the tank). Nitrates are reading around 5ppm. pH is 8.2.

My phosphate and calcium test kits come tomorrow.

Planned inhabitants are a firefish, a black ray shrimp goby, a tiger pistol shrimp, a clean up crew, and for corals, I'm still deciding on corals but likely it'll be a mix of soft corals for the lower rocks and a single LPS for the central rock (where it should get enough light and flow?)

I'm open to suggestions, I've done a lot of reading but there's still plenty I don't know!

• Like 3

WV Reefer
10 minutes ago, Sinibotia said:

Hello all, this is the start of my first reef tank. I'm hoping to document everything here so I can see how things progress and get feedback as I go. This is my first reef tank, but I have had extensive success with even difficult freshwater fish so I'm confident that I can take on the challenge of a nano reef.

3PlHGZ5.jpg

This is the tank so far. It's a standard 10 gallon.

I have about 3 inches of crushed coral sand, 10 pounds of cured live rock, a koralia 240 nano pump, an aquaclear 50 that I'm still deciding what to put in (chaeto, purigen, chemipure, carbon?). The heater is a hydor 50 watt heater.

Light is going to be a Current USA Orbit Marine 18" light.

Salinity is currently 1.026, temperature is 80 degrees (both will be lowered before I start stocking), and ammonia is 1.0ppm(dosed in order to cycle the tank). Nitrates are reading around 5ppm. pH is 8.2.

My phosphate and calcium test kits come tomorrow.

Planned inhabitants are a firefish, a black ray shrimp goby, a tiger pistol shrimp, a clean up crew, and for corals, I'm still deciding on corals but likely it'll be a mix of soft corals for the lower rocks and a single LPS for the central rock (where it should get enough light and flow?)

I'm open to suggestions, I've done a lot of reading but there's still plenty I don't know!

Looks good so far! 😊

sadie

welcome!!  

• Like 1

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @Sinibotia, congrats on your first nano reef! It looks like you're right on track with everything. Waiting out the cycle is the hardest part, but your live rock should make it go quicker. 🙂 

• Like 2

Sinibotia
16 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @Sinibotia, congrats on your first nano reef! It looks like you're right on track with everything. Waiting out the cycle is the hardest part, but your live rock should make it go quicker. 🙂 

I already embraced fishless cycling in freshwater so I'm pretty used to the frustration of waiting out the empty tank 😋 Plus, I know Petco is having a 30% off sale on marine life at the end of this month so I'm going to wait for that to stock my tank 🙂

• Like 3

Sinibotia

API kits came in today; here were the results

KH 8

Calcium 350ppm

Ammonia 1.0

Nitrate 5

Didn't test phosphate, probably too early for that I figure.

From what I've read, I'll want to raise the calcium, and adding kalkwasser should be sufficient to raise calcium while keeping KH in an appropriate range. Does that sound right?

• Like 2

Sinibotia

Nitrate is up to between 20 and 40 but ammonia is still around 0.5. Interesting trend but glad to see nitrate showing up.

• Like 1

Sinibotia

So, looking closely at the tank tonight, I found tiny little white snails. First thought was pyramid snails, but they're in a tank with no snails to eat, and I work at the store this live rock came from and have never seen these guys. Any thoughts?

Tamberav
On 10/2/2019 at 2:25 PM, Sinibotia said:

API kits came in today; here were the results

KH 8

Calcium 350ppm

Ammonia 1.0

Nitrate 5

Didn't test phosphate, probably too early for that I figure.

From what I've read, I'll want to raise the calcium, and adding kalkwasser should be sufficient to raise calcium while keeping KH in an appropriate range. Does that sound right?

Generally 2 part is used to raise calcium or alk. Kalk is generally used to maintain parameters to account for consumption.

The reason for this is kalk is very high in pH and adding too much at once...like say the amount needed for an increase instead of small amounts dosed throughout the day will spike pH which can be problematic.

• Like 1

Tamberav
On 10/6/2019 at 10:58 PM, Sinibotia said:

So, looking closely at the tank tonight, I found tiny little white snails. First thought was pyramid snails, but they're in a tank with no snails to eat, and I work at the store this live rock came from and have never seen these guys. Any thoughts?

Collonista snails? 

Sinibotia
On 10/8/2019 at 2:33 AM, Tamberav said:

Collonista snails? 

Wrong shape. They're either pyramids or baby certiths.

Sinibotia

4tgyMZ3.jpg

• Like 1

Sinibotia

I've added my first inhabitants! One emerald crab, three blue leg hermit crabs and a certith snail. The certith snail is sort of a test to see if indeed I have pyramid snails... fingers crossed.

zcZxiUn.jpg

• Like 2

WV Reefer
Just now, Sinibotia said:

I've added my first inhabitants! One emerald crab, three blue leg hermit crabs and a certith snail. The certith snail is sort of a test to see if indeed I have pyramid snails... fingers crossed.

zcZxiUn.jpg

Cute crab. 😊

• Like 1

Sinibotia

Added the first corals!

7JgdRLn.jpg

• Like 2

Wonderboy

Nice! Looking good   :]

Sinibotia

Added a black ray goby, a pistol shrimp, a skunk cleaner shrimp, and some trochus snails:

PDRguNf.jpg

aZRj29i.jpgSPDruaf.jpg

mH4N0qP.jpg961Y3zE.jpghyoGg6S.jpg

• Like 1