Innovative Marine Aquariums

Zoas not opening - advice on treatment needed.

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Hey, all! 

I have a colony of 40 or so people eaters that was doing fantastically until my frogfish knocked them off of the rock and had them rolling in the sand.  I took em and blew off all of the dust and glued them to my rockwork but have not opened since (about a week).  I think that while they were upset and closed diatoms had begun to grow on them.  I'm not positive though.  All other corals are doing well, zoas included.  

I was recently told to use a syringe filled with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and tank water, cut flow, and apply the solution to only the zoas.  It's not practical for me to separate them from the rock as well. 

Do you have any other suggestions as to how I should treat them or how I should go about applying the peroxide solution? 

Here are two pictures of the zoas, both open and closed.  

20190920_220254.thumb.jpg.1ce7b5e4a409d533fc77d41ec1c4dc39.jpg20190930_201351.thumb.jpg.b5bf066c72eea130cf4859f75361a5e8.jpg

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Capt_Rick_Dixie said:

Hey, all! 

I have a colony of 40 or so people eaters that was doing fantastically until my frogfish knocked them off of the rock and had them rolling in the sand.  I took em and blew off all of the dust and glued them to my rockwork but have not opened since (about a week).  I think that while they were upset and closed diatoms had begun to grow on them.  I'm not positive though.  All other corals are doing well, zoas included.  

I was recently told to use a syringe filled with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and tank water, cut flow, and apply the solution to only the zoas.  It's not practical for me to separate them from the rock as well. 

Do you have any other suggestions as to how I should treat them or how I should go about applying the peroxide solution? 

20190920_220254.thumb.jpg.1ce7b5e4a409d533fc77d41ec1c4dc39.jpg20190930_201351.thumb.jpg.b5bf066c72eea130cf4859f75361a5e8.jpg

They look fine, probably just ticked off.

I've had mad zoas closed for over a week.

I don't see anything on them.

Peroxide treatments can work but have been known to further tick off zoas.

I would use it only on a need to basis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Capt_Rick_Dixie said:

Hey, all! 

7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I agree.  I think they are still angry from the fall. I would leave them alone to heal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie
27 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

19 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I agree.  I think they are still angry from the fall. I would leave them alone to heal. 

Awesome, guys.  I'll give them another week or so and see where they're at.  Thanks for the advice.  If they're not looking better by then I'll go ahead and update the thread. 

• Like 2