Innovative Marine Aquariums

What shrimp is this? Edit: Donald Duck shrimp! Care?

Tired

image0.jpg?width=507&height=676

Edit: thanks for the ID, now who knows about these? Are they reef-safe? I'd like to put one in a pico and feed it every few days, let it scavenge every other day. I'd like to keep softies, macroalgae, and maybe a gorgonian eventually, will it mess with any of those? 

Spotted this gorgeous thing at my LFS. The guy who knows about all the shrimp wasn't in that day, though, and their record-keeping is a little spotty. They have a list of all the shrimp they can get in, which is pretty long, and the lady who was working there wasn't sure which of the possibilities this is. She said there was a listing for "humpback shrimp" (separate for camel shrimp), so that might be this, but when I search that online I find several things that are not this. 

Any clue what this is? It wasn't doing much of anything, just kinda chilling. It was in a sale tank with a bunch of other inverts, and wasn't going after any of them, so it doesn't seem to be territorial. Those frilly things on its back are actually part of it and not just something behind it. I'm guessing it lives in seaweed, by the look of it, maybe on sargassum? Its snout reminds me of the 'horn' on some lanternflies, or a platypus beak. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Oh, that's it, thank you! Do you know anything about their care? I'm trying to look them up online, and having some trouble finding care data for them, since "leander" is apparently a road name and "long nose shrimp" is a name for several species. What I am seeing is that these are sometimes called "donald duck shrimp", which is definitely not a common name that applies to several things! It doesn't look like these are very commonly kept- maybe they aren't collected often.

Leander plumosos is a species in the genus that has some image matches, but I am not sure how accurate they are, they also show another species. Usually members of a genus (Leander is the genus name) have similar behavior so if you can find something on that shrimp it is probably similar care requirements. A good place to start at least. I haven’t kept them. 

If two species are in the same genus, and are so similar that you have to squint pretty heavily to find the difference, they very likely have the same care. The main potential trouble in this case is diet, and whether these eat corals. I'm not reading anything that says they do, so far. 

• 3 years later...

Update: I got one of these. It hasn't touched anything I'm aware of. It's pretty cryptic, but comes out sometimes, mostly in the evenings, to wander around. Cool little thing. No clue what the 'plume' is for. 

It might eat detritus, or algae, or some other non-fish-food thing found easily in my tank. I didn't feed it for quite awhile because I couldn't find it and thought it had died, and then it popped out one day perfectly healthy. It's been feeding on something, I just don't know what.