Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Stringy spiderweb?

kups

5 minutes ago, kups said:

If it helps any it doesn't seem to bother the fish or inverts.  It does cause the paly's and zoas to close up when it attaches to them.  

It’s hard to tell from that video. Could you have vermetid snails?.....They cast out slime nets. 

• Like 1

Vermetid snails...they are the worst.  My reef was crazy populated with these things up until a few months ago.  I think eventually the fauna and whatnot out compete it for food and they slowly reproduce less and less.  I dont see as many webs as I use to.  

I stopped vacuuming my sand for a month.  I use to do it every week with a wc but stirring up all that stuff just gives them more food i think.  I stopped reef chili for a month.  I only fed a few pellets or frozen mysis once a day to my fish for awhile, and cut back on how often I vacuum the substrate.  It was bad, there are still remains of those tubes littered on my rocks.  One every square inch n sitch....sometimes clusters of them,7-8-9-10 clusters.   Those bastards...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, kups said:

Thanks.  I'll have to get to work on locating and destroying tomorrow 

Some people use a dollop of glue to plug up the hole to prevent the snail from feeding, so it starves to death.  Sounds messy, ive never done it.  Ive killed ones with an exacto knife that were preventing my montipora from growing on one of its sides.  If you just cut off the tube, the snail will retreat fast into the base, and just rebuild again when the coast is clear.  Take a sharp knife and attack the base.  Stab it like nobody is watching.  Kill it from the base....oh damn, those bastards.  When I get home from work Ill post a video that will show you the kind of sitch I just went through.  

• Like 1
GetPsyched2124

I have a somewhat crippled torch head that seems as though it'll never fully recover thanks to the first attack the vermetids wages in my tank. the tubes are everywhere in my tank but the numbers of them containing live worms are finally dwindling after just under a year i believe. stainless steel tweezers help as well as spearing the bases with steel tipped pushpins/thumbtacks. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GetPsyched2124 said:

I have a somewhat crippled torch head that seems as though it'll never fully recover thanks to the first attack the vermetids wages in my tank. the tubes are everywhere in my tank but the numbers of them containing live worms are finally dwindling after just under a year i believe. stainless steel tweezers help as well as spearing the bases with steel tipped pushpins/thumbtacks. 

Pushpins!  That sounds like the perfect weapon against vermetid snails.  Or a sewing needle.  

• Like 1