Tired

Pico got a hitchhiker clam

Tired

I found a clam on the rock I got for my pico tank. It's about 2" long, and definitely alive. It's anchored firmly, and was open earlier, but shut when I tapped it. Which is interesting, because there are a lot of small, empty oystershells on the same rock. I can't get any pictures that look like anything other than a lump, it's got macroalgae all over it. I think it's a turkey wing clam by the shape. Trouble is, this is a 5gal tank. Will a clam this size do okay in here, or will it starve? Also, do they need to be fed actual particulates of food, like you'd feed a feather duster, or do they absorb straight-up nutrients from the water? 

• Like 1

WV Reefer
12 minutes ago, Tired said:

I found a clam on the rock I got for my pico tank. It's about 2" long, and definitely alive. It's anchored firmly, and was open earlier, but shut when I tapped it. Which is interesting, because there are a lot of small, empty oystershells on the same rock. I can't get any pictures that look like anything other than a lump, it's got macroalgae all over it. I think it's a turkey wing clam by the shape. Trouble is, this is a 5gal tank. Will a clam this size do okay in here, or will it starve? Also, do they need to be fed actual particulates of food, like you'd feed a feather duster, or do they absorb straight-up nutrients from the water? 

Cool hitchhiker. 😊 I have tons of different bivalves in my tank and I do not feed them anything. 

Tired

How big is your tank? I know most people just ignore their random rock-riding clams, but I'm a little concerned about the size of this one. I don't know how much water these need to process. Can I feed it at all, or is it unlikely to be able to deal with particulates?