Pod Your Reef

Tube coral feeding methods

Perthreefer

I picked up a tube coral today and have been reading about them for a while, there are a few different method for feeding them online but I was wondering if anyone has any experience keeping them?

I fed tonight using brine shrimp through a pipette which seemed to go ok, but if there are any other methods people have had success with it would be good to hear them.

48809535461_02777890bb_c.jpgsuncoral1 by kenpau01, on Flickr

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Perthreefer said:

I was wondering if anyone has any experience keeping them?

@banasophia has quite a few!!

I have a black sun coral and I usually broadcast feed some fine particle food with a powerhead on to get the coral open. Then I shut it off and spot feed.

If other fish or shrimp try to steal food from the coral's mouth, ypu can take to top portion of a water/gatorade/soda bottle to make a reverse funnel. You can stick the pipette in to feed, but it'll keep fish and shrimp out.

• Like 1

That sounds like a good plan Kimberbee. I did watch a youtube video of feeding pellets, I gave it a go tonight but it wasn't easy, I'm wondering if I could make a plastic funnel the same size as the coral and then just drop the pellets, that way they'd have time to sink. How long have you had yours for? Also how often do you feed it?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Perthreefer said:

That sounds like a good plan Kimberbee. I did watch a youtube video of feeding pellets, I gave it a go tonight but it wasn't easy, I'm wondering if I could make a plastic funnel the same size as the coral and then just drop the pellets, that way they'd have time to sink. How long have you had yours for? Also how often do you feed it?

I've had mine for a few months... but I've had them before for over a year (lost them in a tank move when the water got too cold and killed half my corals). I feed a couple times a week, others feed everyday.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I've had mine for a few months... but I've had them before for over a year (lost them in a tank move when the water got too cold and killed half my corals). I feed a couple times a week, others feed everyday.

Yeah apparently they're pretty hardy if you can cope with their feeding requirements, shame they look their best when the lights are out though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Perthreefer said:

Yeah apparently they're pretty hardy if you can cope with their feeding requirements, shame they look their best when the lights are out though!

Over time you can get them trained to open during the day. Mine are open most of the time now. 

• Like 3