Pod Your Reef

Acan Bothering Worm

SmolReef

My acans have been receding and looking very unhappy in the last couple weeks, well only the ones on a certain rock. So upon close inspection I noticed very small white colored worms stealing food from them. The worm seems to also irritate them to the point they’re receding. Haven’t been able to find them in any id forum.

081930E3-3000-45EB-97C1-724B1049282A.png

Huh, weird-looking little thing. I'd start pulling them out, whatever they are. Maybe not physically (they could be a kind that can regenerate if not enough is removed), but now may be a good time to employ some traps. 

4 minutes ago, Tired said:

Huh, weird-looking little thing. I'd start pulling them out, whatever they are. Maybe not physically (they could be a kind that can regenerate if not enough is removed), but now may be a good time to employ some traps. 

They’re lightning fast, also they don’t seem to come more than an inch or so out of the rock, never see them fully out of the rock. 

Is it something you can take out and dip to chase them out? 

You could try not feeding those corals for a bit. Sooner or later, those whatevers should get hungry enough to come out all the way. May also be worth sneaking up on them with a red light at night to look. 

8 hours ago, Tired said:

Is it something you can take out and dip to chase them out? 

You could try not feeding those corals for a bit. Sooner or later, those whatevers should get hungry enough to come out all the way. May also be worth sneaking up on them with a red light at night to look. 

Unfortunately I can’t take the whole rock out, I have moved the acans to a different location, hoping that solves the problem.

• 1 month later...
Jozefs a lizard

I had the same prob with most of my acans in my reef, It was eather the wrasse or my damsel fish or both that ate the worms. Try to get eather one of those as they will eat all sorts of pest. However the acans that hitched hiked on my liverock did not recede and would actually eat the worms aswell if they got 2 close, 

I had the same type of worm for many years.  They were a bit of a pain, but after a few different types of fish have been in the tank over the many years, I haven't seen one in quite a long time.

• Like 1