Seadragon

Seadragon's 10g Office Nano Reef: Simple. No Water Changes. No Carbon.

Seadragon

The Fall of the Red Ogo and Xenia as a Water Quality Indicator

As you may know, the Red Ogo had a total meltdown and I had to remove it from all of my tanks.  It also made the water somewhat cloudy.  I noticed that when I tested the salinity after adding the Red Ogo, it really spiked it up to 1.028+.  In the weeks to follow, my fish were doing fine, but I noticed something seriously wrong with my favorite coral, the Pom Pom Xenia.  It wasn't happy and it showed it.  It wasn't fully opening and pulsating as it normally would and it looked quite upset and was even shriveling up in some areas.

Yesterday, I did an emergency water change of about one gallon and got the salinity from 1.028 to 1.027.  I noticed within the hour the Xenia was coming back to life and started to pulsate more.

Today, I did another emergency water change of about one gallon and got the salinity from 1.027 to 1.026.  Now, as I look at the Xenia, it's looking WAY better than it was and although it's not yet 100% the same as I remember it in it's heyday, I'm very happy on its revival.

I did some research on Pom Pom Xenia (and other corals such as Duncans) and they give recommended ranges for the salinity.  When I calculate the average of the ranges given, I keep getting the number 1.024.  Now, the reason I even did 1.027 before was because when I filled the tank with only Imagitarium Pacific Ocean Water, it tested at 1.027 which based on online research, 1.027 can be one of the many salinities that natural ocean water tests at.  I figured, if the ocean is at that salinity, then it's probably fine for my tank.

But, now that I'm experiencing what I am with the Pom Pom Xenia, I may just force it to keep a stable 1.024 by adding Distilled Water to the natural ocean water to give me the numbers that I want.  I'm choosing 1.024 also because when the water evaporates, it will eventually become 1.025 which appears to be a very popular Specific Gravity that many hobbyists try to shoot for.  So, I get the best of both worlds.

Now that I'm excited... would it be OK if I try to shoot for 1.024 immediately tomorrow morning from the current 1.026 or should I lower it to 1.025 first and then wait a day?  I don't want my excitement of lowering it to 1.024 immediately to have any negative effects on my tank.

• Like 1

Amphrites

Stability in salinity is more important than a number, most shoot for .025-.026, plenty have tanks at .028 or higher though. 

• Like 1