Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Your best bet on those is to increase nutrients, to let other algaes increase. If you up your biodiversity, those will pretty much die out, from competition via other algaes and direct predation by an assortment of creatures. They'll never be wiped out completely, they're a normal part of most reefs, but they'll go down to levels where you won't notice them any. 

I defeated dino's with no waterchanges, adding pods, and increasing nutrients. I didn't see a difference until I added the pods and phyto dosed.

It took my phos to be above 0.08 and nitrates at 5 before they started improving but when I added the pods and phyto dosed was the major improvement. No joke within a few days.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Dino and peroxide doesn't work for them, makes it worse.

There are some people over on Reef2Reef that swear that peroxide worked for them.  I'm a bit skeptical about the claims.

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Dino and peroxide doesn't work for them, makes it worse.

Most snails won't touch them because they can be toxic.

What do you suggest then?  I noticed the Chaeto in the School Nano Reef is getting smaller ever since she removed the fuge LED light.

I was thinking of doing the following:

1. Siphon out as much Dino's as possible.

2. Turn off the main LED light until this weekend.

3. Reinstall and Turn on the refugium LED light to get the Chaeto growing again -- the idea here is for the Chaeto to out compete the Dino's.

4. Stop using tap water for top offs and change to Distilled Water (with Marine Conditioner added for safety) from now on.

5. Dose 1 ml per 10 gallons of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for one month.  What do you think the ill effects of this would be?  I noticed when googling that a lot of websites suggest this low dosing of Hydrogen Peroxide -- some see it clear up within 3-4 days.

6. Add 3 large Zebra Turbo Snails to the school reef -- only because I need them out of my tank and her tank has other algae issues as well.

I just noticed the 5th page of replies. 😄  Yep, so at least we know I won't be doing water changes. 😉

I'll work on getting the macro algae growing again and siphoning out as much Dino's as possible and go from there.

UPDATE: All future updates regarding the School Nano Reef and the Dino situation can be found here:

Edited by Seadragon
Added Link to new School Nano Reef thread for updates on the Dino situation.
1 hour ago, j.falk said:

There are some people over on Reef2Reef that swear that peroxide worked for them.  I'm a bit skeptical about the claims.

It depends on the species, there's so bloody many that even keeping nutrients up doesn't necessarily work for all of them. Dinox only works on a few, peroxide only works on a few, out competing them with elevated nutrients and other algae's works for most. Some really do require manual-removal or other extra steps though, especially those which are thick and stay-low on your rockwork and sandbed, it can take months to get rid of them and just a few days for them to come back. Those dino threads are long, but pretty interesting reads - makes you feel quite lucky to be able to shake a bloom in less than a month doing things which didn't start to have a noticeable-effect on other tanks for 6 or more...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, j.falk said:

Peroxide does kill things but not dino.

It was actually tested and dino's multiplied.

I tried it myself. Yup, they worsened.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

What do you suggest then?  I noticed the Chaeto in the School Nano Reef is getting smaller ever since she removed the fuge LED light.

I was thinking of doing the following:

1. Siphon out as much Dino's as possible.

2. Turn off the main LED light until this weekend.

3. Reinstall and Turn on the refugium LED light to get the Chaeto growing again -- the idea here is for the Chaeto to out compete the Dino's.

4. Stop using tap water for top offs and change to Distilled Water (with Marine Conditioner added for safety) from now on.

5. Dose 1 ml per 10 gallons of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for one month.  What do you think the ill effects of this would be?  I noticed when googling that a lot of websites suggest this low dosing of Hydrogen Peroxide -- some see it clear up within 3-4 days.

6. Add 3 large Zebra Turbo Snails to the school reef -- only because I need them out of my tank and her tank has other algae issues as well.

Black outs are bandaids, they don't work on dino.

Peroxide is one of the worst things to do with the majority of dino because it kills off the micro organisms that compete with dino(bacteria and pods)

Snails don't eat dino, if anything most die from dino.

Without a fuge light, cheato will die. It needs light and nutrients.

Tap water is usually not advised for reefs.

In order to get dino back into dormant stage, you have to find out what dino you have. You need to check under microscope.

Most successful hobbyists that got rid of dino- increase nutrients(they come out of dormancy due to lack of nutrients and biodiversity)

The steps I took are too long to list. It's in my lagoon thread on the 7th page. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I tried it myself. Yup, they worsened.

You're braver than me.  I thought about trying it...but just couldn't do it without knowing exactly what might happen...especially considering a lot of people use peroxide to kill things off of live rock.

@Seadragon  When I had dinos a few months back I followed @Clown79's steps almost to a t and my dinos were gone in less than a month...and mine looked exactly like the photo you posted.  Long stringy brown snot looking strands coming out of the sand and working their way up my rock work.  

There was one major thing I did that Clown79 didn't do.  I bought two big fully established pieces of live rock and 1 cup of dirty sand from a local reefer and added them to my tank.  That brought in all kinds of new biodiversity that I didn't have while using only Marco dry rock and dry sand.  I think that is what really helped me get rid of my dinos along with Clown79's dino eradication plan.

If you know of anyone local that keeps saltwater aquariums...see if they'll sell you some of their rocks and sand.  It will help.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, j.falk said:

@Seadragon  When I had dinos a few months back I followed @Clown79's steps almost to a t and my dinos were gone in less than a month...and mine looked exactly like the photo you posted.  Long stringy brown snot looking strands coming out of the sand and working their way up my rock work.  

There was one major thing I did that Clown79 didn't do.  I bought two big fully established pieces of live rock and 1 cup of dirty sand from a local reefer and added them to my tank.  That brought in all kinds of new biodiversity that I didn't have while using only Marco dry rock and dry sand.  I think that is what really helped me get rid of my dinos along with Clown79's dino eradication plan.

If you know of anyone local that keeps saltwater aquariums...see if they'll sell you some of their rocks and sand.  It will help.

I didn't add liverock because most of the rock in my tank was liverock. I have only a few pieces of dry rock in my tank. It was started with 80% liverock. 

I did add a small rock from a friends tank but never noted it because it made no difference to my situation.

My problem was always low nutrients, been a struggle to keep it up. 

I've spot treated with small amounts of 3% peroxide on gha with no ill effects.

I dosed my 5g with it for gha and bryopsis, it worked well and no ill effects.

When I first got dino, I thought it was something else and started dosing peroxide...ya that made them so much worse and stopped as soon as I realized what I was dealing with and how badly peroxide is for it.

• Like 1

H2O2 worked on my first little dino and chrysophyte bloom, but it opened the gates for a much-more resilient strain of dino to step in and take the place of both. Overall I think micro-dosing peroxide in a healthy tank is probably beneficial, but I would avoid aggressive systemic-dosing in favor of spot treatments via tubing and an inverted medicine-cup or external-application.

• Like 2

I noticed some of the other journals were doing close-up pictures so I figured I'd give it a try.  Sorry if Blenny kept getting in the way.

Day71-01.JPG.6822c4e324c817d182ba01d9088bb8dd.JPG

Day71-04.JPG.891a132506e33fa9d308b29f860c24da.JPG

Day71-05.JPG.8cf8b5264b7cac3f600f2e3d04f768ba.JPG

Day71-03.JPG.b0810dc10031aa0b7fb0263d29c1647a.JPG

Day71-02.JPG.9ce9923e7307e7905114afda9e69a617.JPG

Day71-06.JPG.9a76223f0e68cbdfb72f495e810e6fc0.JPG

Day71-08.JPG.95ae5879c15a5e2cff9bc82b1d267f57.JPG

Day71-07.JPG.2f96c124ec16c00d736fc989c40320a4.JPG

Edited by Seadragon
Added additional pictures.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
2 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

I noticed some of the other journals were doing close-up pictures so I figured I'd give it a try.  Sorry if Blenny kept getting in the way.

Day71-01.JPG.6822c4e324c817d182ba01d9088bb8dd.JPG

Day71-04.JPG.891a132506e33fa9d308b29f860c24da.JPG

Day71-05.JPG.8cf8b5264b7cac3f600f2e3d04f768ba.JPG

Day71-03.JPG.b0810dc10031aa0b7fb0263d29c1647a.JPG

Day71-02.JPG.9ce9923e7307e7905114afda9e69a617.JPG

Love it, the TSB photobomb in every picture. Such characters arent they?

Good shots around the tank too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hahaha, that post is great! Love that shrimp pic! -Or, Blenny pic... wait... They're aaaall Blenny pics 😂  The blasto shot makes me laugh, too    :]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 81 Update:

About a week or so ago, I was inspired by one of the gallery pictures on NR.  I'd say about 25% of their tank was covered in what looked-to-me as Sea Lettuce (Ulva Lactuca) and it got me thinking about my own tank.  I wasn't too happy with how Chaeto looks in my display tank and how little bits & pieces tend to go in every nook & cranny of the tank.  So, I decided to get rid of the plastic in-tank refugium box, get rid of the chaeto, and replace it all with Red Ogo (Gracilaria Parvispora) Macroalgae.

Day81-01.thumb.jpg.41961cf1eff6aa4982fdf41484a1e2b7.jpg

Day81-02.thumb.jpg.dbf71e9b49d6af8b80907e3fe7ffee90.jpg

My intention is to allow the Red Ogo to flourish & grow and only remove it if absolutely necessary.  I also removed the prefilters from the circulation pumps because I found that having the increased flow is better for the overall health of the tank.

This leaves me with only 2 wishes left that I currently have for my tank.

1. I ordered a Porcelain Anemone Crab from a nearby LFS that tends to over charge, but I'll see if they're willing to be fair once the crab finally gets in.  (Ordered on Monday, still nothing on Friday.)
  2. And I'm keeping an eye out for a Neon Green Trumpet Coral although with all this stuff in the tank now, I'm wondering if it's worth it...

Checking items off my Wish List . . .

I went to my nearby LFS on Cyber Monday and inquired about Conchs and I found out that they also had a coral that I've been trying to find for awhile.  They even made me an offer that I couldn't refuse!  They'll extend the 50% Off Black Friday Deal to the Neon Green Trumpet Coral which makes it only $15 -- SOLD!

NeonGreenTrumpet1.jpg.ef5cb8b29e31a353fbf4fafa93a03d0d.jpg

So getting to why I was even there to begin with... I was reading about Conchs and some other hobbyists claim that the Queen Conch and the Tiger Sand Conch consume cyanobacteria while the Fighting Conch does not.  I also read that the Mexican Turbo Snail may eat it as well.

Since I'm dealing with some cyanobacteria, after trying a few different things, I'm able to see some improvement by doing the following:

• Greatly increased the flow of water by removing the prefilters off the circulation pumps.
  • Temporarily reduced the photoperiod drastically for a couple of days. (My Xenia was not too happy with this so I won't be doing this again, but I was curious how much it may help.)
  • Letting my Mexican Turbo Snails run loose.
  • Purchased a Tiger Sand Conch and added it yesterday.

Now the cyanobacteria seems more under control since the sandbed is being turned more regularly now and possibly being eaten by the snails and conch.

Bad experiences with a Common Theme . . .

1. Before, I purchased Xenia off eBay and it took a few days too many to travel through the mail and it arrived DOA.  The package stunk when I opened it.  I received free Red Dragon's Breath macroalgae in the end.
  2. A couple weeks ago, I purchased a tiny frag of GSP off Etsy for my School Nano Reef, it took 5 days to deliver in cold weather with no heat pack and was DOA.  The package had a foul smell when I opened it.  I got refunded in the end.
  3. Recently, I purchased a lot of Red Ogo from Algaebarn, it took 4 days via USPS in cold weather and the heat pack gave out before the journey concluded.  A very foul stench permeated the room when the package was opened and made you want to gag.  The Red Ogo melted within 24 hours and clouded my tanks.  They offered to send me more Red Ogo to replace it, but I requested a different option if possible and I received an email just now that they're willing to send me free Tisbe Pods + free 2nd day air shipping!!  Woohoo!

I learned how much I like overnight delivery and heat packs when necessary vs free shipping.  Even 2-day delivery beats 4-5 days.  But, nothing beats same-day (~1 hour) when going to a LFS.

I noticed my Pom Pom Xenia has been spreading and has nearly doubled in size in the 3 different spots that they're found in the aquarium.  I wonder if the couple days of darkness and the Red Ogo meltdown had anything to do with it...

Still waiting on the Porcelain Anemone Crab.  I hear they look like a little samurai warrior in the tank.

Edited by Seadragon
I received an email from Algaebarn that they're willing to send me free Tisbe Pods + free 2nd day air shipping!! Woohoo!
  • Like 1

The Samurai have arrived . . .

PorcelainAnemoneCrab01.jpg.4f74f7e4d688dfac183bce8c037711b4.jpg

PorcelainAnemoneCrab03.jpg.55be44e080a07d454cd1f563f9f18d06.jpg

I got a call last night that the Samurai, I mean, Porcelain Anemone Crabs have arrived at the LFS and are ready for their next adventure.  I got two of them which saved me $8 since I asked if they could bring the price a bit closer to what everyone else is selling them for (and that I've purchased many things from them recently).  Never hurts to ask and over the years, has saved me hundreds of dollars.

Has anyone had Porcelain Anemone Crabs mixed with regular Porcelain Crabs?  Do they get along?

• Like 2

They'll probably ignore each other. Green porcelains often collect in groups in the wild, and the other two common to the hobby (blue and anemone) will cluster a bit if there's enough of them. I assume that works cross-species. They might claw-wave a bit at first, but they'll likely just establish spots and ignore each other. They're not exactly aggressive animals.

They're also not true crabs. They're squat lobsters. That's pretty much irrelevant to our purposes, but I think it's interesting that those are, like hermit crabs, only fake crabs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My porcelain anemone crabs fought but my greens do not. 

I am guessing the anemone ones fight over hosts. 

Shipping live stuff during this time if year is awful as the post is overwhelmed and slow. My friends package that was sent overnight with live fish took 3 days. 

• Sad 3

I'm confused, are they battling or holding hands?

PorcelainAnemoneCrab04.jpg.b9a2e157cc519dbc996cafca07f11d97.jpg

Moments Later . . .

PorcelainAnemoneCrab05.jpg.b71d0fc5f9ddc359feb51491a85fa6e3.jpg

Not sure if they're a mated pair or what... purchased them together (they only had 2) and they arrived to the LFS together that morning.

Nevermind, now they're best friends fanning together.  Reminds me of fishing buddies.  I guess they just wanted to arm wrestle to show who's boss around here.  Perhaps they're both male?

PorcelainAnemoneCrab06.thumb.jpg.1d9016713798e935d1bf75750b7540b0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2