Innovative Marine Aquariums

what is the glass coating on Fluval AIO sumps?

TerraMagnus

Hello,

I'm planning out a project right now where I'm more or less building an AIO setup for an area in my home with limited space for an external sump. And it's not well-suited for an existing AIO tank.

I'm interested in concealing the front face of the internal sump I'm building using a material similar to what Fluval uses on the Evo products (here's a photo attached of the material I'm talking about on a Fluval Evo 5).

Does anyone know what this stuff is called, and maybe where it might be sourced?

TIA!

6B9664F2-3205-4C36-BA31-95CBB6AA04A1.JPG

I have a feeling it's not exactly the same, but I can't help but notice that it looks just like the mesh covering on the front of my Thermaltake PC case... looks like it's made out of aluminum in my case, not glass of course, but the resemblance is uncanny. 😄 

IMG_0555.thumb.JPG.8708a28e6f0f846a8385176841edb32a.JPG

It’s some sort of painted on thing.  Many have decided to scrape off of the top of the Evos around the glass rim.  Mine has flaked off over time in some places.  Flakes like some sort of plastic painted on application.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Are you looking to just make it so you can't see the filtration area ? I have used regular black spray paint for outside the tank,and on my current build I used black vinyl my wife had from her cricut machine. I think its like $5 a sheet. But spray paint from walmart is $1 lol. 

42 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Are you looking to just make it so you can't see the filtration area ? I have used regular black spray paint for outside the tank,and on my current build I used black vinyl my wife had from her cricut machine. I think its like $5 a sheet. But spray paint from walmart is $1 lol. 

That wasn't quite it. With the Fluvals, you can see inside of the sump, but the view is obscured somewhat by this material. So you can see inside, but your focus will be drawn to the display area of the tank.

• Like 1