Tired

Tinitanks 5gal pico, The Alcove (thread currently under construction)

Amphrites

That's a mystic monti, no plating, rapid-growing encruster.

Tired

Huh, good to know. I will make sure not to let it stay touching my rockwork. Might put it on a little rock on the sandbed, though I suppose it may not get enough light there. Maybe smack in the middle, right under the light. I really do like those little blue polyps. 

Not very good for the average pico, I assume? Rapid growth, difficult to get off once it gets on a rock, probably uses up a lot of calcium and whatnot. 

Amphrites
59 minutes ago, Tired said:

Huh, good to know. I will make sure not to let it stay touching my rockwork. Might put it on a little rock on the sandbed, though I suppose it may not get enough light there. Maybe smack in the middle, right under the light. I really do like those little blue polyps. 

Not very good for the average pico, I assume? Rapid growth, difficult to get off once it gets on a rock, probably uses up a lot of calcium and whatnot. 

Calcium consumption isn't tremendous because it has a paper-thin and brittle skeleton ime, doesn't really even feel like a monti, you could stick it on some rubble and have it self-frag for you.
The colors are great, but yes it grows very quickly in most setups.

Tired

Hm, I guess I might give it a try. Thanks, that's good to know. Maybe I can encrust it on part of the back wall. Can it be semi-easily broken off of thin plastic with a razor blade and some patience, if needed? 

Does it have any remote stinging power, or will it only sting something that touches it? Or does it sting at all? 

I guess I'll see how this plug does. If it keeps its color without me changing anything in the tank (since my other stuff likes it), I might keep it. If it starts losing color from all the nutrients, I'll give it to someone else. 

• Like 2

Amphrites
9 hours ago, Tired said:

Hm, I guess I might give it a try. Thanks, that's good to know. Maybe I can encrust it on part of the back wall. Can it be semi-easily broken off of thin plastic with a razor blade and some patience, if needed? 

Does it have any remote stinging power, or will it only sting something that touches it? Or does it sting at all? 

I guess I'll see how this plug does. If it keeps its color without me changing anything in the tank (since my other stuff likes it), I might keep it. If it starts losing color from all the nutrients, I'll give it to someone else. 

Never had any issues with color, but my systems are all 0.1 P04 and 10+ N03, as long as I remember to dose, Monti's don't really sting anything their strategy is their growth rate lol (similar to porites). Shouldn't be too hard to get off the back wall with a razor and was never too fussy about lighting for me.

• Like 2

Tired

I suppose I"ll give it a shot, then. If I keep it trimmed down to a relatively small size, I bet I can keep it under control. 

(Famous last words.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1