Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MP10 or Gyre 1k

kagt

Hey all, I recently just rebooted my IM Fusion here --->  Shameless plug 😀

Originally I was going to get the AI Nero but I've read some not so good experience with them. So now I have narrow it down to

MP10 or the Icecap 1k. Which one would be suited for my needs, my goal is to have a sps heavy tank and I want gear that will be able to grow with me as well.

I'm running the MP10 on my 30G shallow reef. I currently have a decent mix of SPS and LPS including some with high flow demands. I have to run my MP10 at 50% otherwise there is too much flow in the tank. If I'm honest I don't have any experience with the Gyre because I've run Vortech's for years but I can definitely say that it would suit the purpose for your system with no issues at all.

Tuan’s Reef

I ran an the 1k gyre on my nuvo 20 and it was way too strong even on the lowest settings.  I now run 2 MP10’s and couldn’t be happier.  Flow is amazing with MP10 and it’s very controllable 

I am running both on my redsea170.  Imo in a larger tank, definitly the gyre.  Smaller I'd go with the mp10.  

The mp10 seems to be less laminar.  The gyre seems to move more water at a lower setting than my vortechs. 

Depending On your scape and mounting options, both are good and will do their job. 

On 9/25/2019 at 12:40 PM, kagt said:

Hey all, I recently just rebooted my IM Fusion here --->  Shameless plug 😀

Originally I was going to get the AI Nero but I've read some not so good experience with them. So now I have narrow it down to

MP10 or the Icecap 1k. Which one would be suited for my needs, my goal is to have a sps heavy tank and I want gear that will be able to grow with me as well.

Go with one of each! :). IME, mp10 has better flow control compared to the 1k gyre.  With. the gyre, it can only be increased by 10% increments. So having the lowest setting at 10%, that might not be enough flow and increasing it to 20% might be too much.  Another thing with the 1k is you'll need to use at 20% for the random flow pattern. 

There is a reverse option for the gyre but it's pretty useless.

Thanks for the input guys but if I get the MP 10 wouldn't I need 2? I mean that's almost $900 Canadian pesos, Yikes! I ave been looking at the tunzes 6040 for half the price, I've read good things about them.  Gonna wait to see if there's a sale or something since I am not in a hurry since my tank is still cycling

• Like 1
1 hour ago, xM3THODx said:

If you want more bang for your Canadian pesos, lol, consider a couple of Jebao's.  Mine have lasted longer than the mp10.

I had a sw-2 I think but it was too loud for my taste. Maybe I had a bad unit, I'll check them out thanks.

1 hour ago, William said:

I would i get the gyre and just use one of the blades. You can also mound it on the back as opposed to the sides. 

Yeah I think I am leaning towards the gyre atm but we'll see

On 9/29/2019 at 3:40 AM, kagt said:

Thanks for the input guys but if I get the MP 10 wouldn't I need 2? I mean that's almost $900 Canadian pesos, Yikes! I ave been looking at the tunzes 6040 for half the price, I've read good things about them.  Gonna wait to see if there's a sale or something since I am not in a hurry since my tank is still cycling

I have one MP10 on a larger tank than yours and have to run it at 50%. You can’t beat the customisation of the Vortechs. Having said that, if money is a factor then you can buy cheaper units that will do what you need at a more basic level.

• 1 month later...

An mp10 is at least US$250.

A Gyre 1k is at least US$110.

I'd recommend two pumps in almost all installations, so whichever you pick, double the cost.

$500 or $220.

For a 20 gallon tank both of those numbers seem like a lot.  But I admit that would be relative to your budget.

Consider that you could rock this tank or a bigger one with a pair of Tunze 6045's.  At $76/ea, that's a bargain.

I replaced two mp40's in my 36" tank (loaded with SPS) with a trio of 6045's several years ago, for what it's worth. 

That was almost $700 vs about $300 for the Tunze setup.  (Tunze's have come WAY DOWN in price since then.) 

The 6045's still work, BTW, but the mp40's are rusted, sitting in a junk box.

I honestly don't recommend buying bigger gear "for the next tank" though.  All the pumps you're looking at so far are really overkill for the tank.

You could get by with a pair of Tunze's smallest models (6015, 6020 or 6025) on this tank....and the smallest ones are only about $40/ea. 

Only $80-ish for the pair.

• Like 1