Cultivated Reef

Controlling aptasia

FOB_Reefy

My tank is getting out of control with aptasia.  I had use a file fish in the past, very effective but when aptasia are all gone, it went after my zoa.  Does anyone have any better solutions?  I tried pep shrimp but not good, 'cause my wrasse loved it too much 😥.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, FOB_Reefy said:

My tank is getting out of control with aptasia.  I had use a file fish in the past, very effective but when aptasia are all gone, it went after my zoa.  Does anyone have any better solutions?  I tried pep shrimp but not good, 'cause my wrasse loved it too much 😥.

if you find one, let us all know. lol

staying on top of them is really the only solution.  Berghie Nudibranch work but some fish will eat them......and they are an expensive snack. I learned that one the hard way after witnessing my Starry Blenny and Scooter Blenny eating them like Doritos.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

if you find one, let us all know. lol

staying on top of them is really the only solution.  Berghie Nudibranch work but some fish will eat them......and they are an expensive snack. I learned that one the hard way after witnessing my Starry Blenny and Scooter Blenny eating them like Doritos.

Are nudi that crunchy.. I might have to try it for myself..lol..

I am thinking about nudi but afraid my wrasses will eradicate it as it did with my 8 pep shrimps..😓..

File fish works good, but catching them afterward is a task itself...

• Like 1
Just now, FOB_Reefy said:

Are nudi that crunchy.. I might have to try it for myself..lol..

I am thinking about nudi but afraid my wrasses will eradicate it as it did with my 8 pep shrimps..😓..

File fish works good, but catching them afterward is a task itself...

I have a syringe and I shoot them full of vinegar, wait a few minutes and then suck them out with a hose or pipette.

Superglue works also. Put glue on them wait a few minutes and pull them out still attached to the glue. 

11 minutes ago, FOB_Reefy said:

Have you an idea of how they're spreading?

5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I have a syringe and I shoot them full of vinegar, wait a few minutes and then suck them out with a hose or pipette.

Superglue works also. Put glue on them wait a few minutes and pull them out still attached to the glue. 

I tried the syringe and vinegar, works real good but too much manual labor given the size of my tank 😥

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, FOB_Reefy said:

Scats will eat the hell out of them and leave everything else other than algae alone. I have them in one run at the shop for new arrivals from Vietnam which is ALIVE with the damn things. Scats will eat all sizes of Aiptasia.

1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Scats will eat the hell out of them and leave everything else other than algae alone. I have them in one run at the shop for new arrivals from Vietnam which is ALIVE with the damn things. Scats will eat all sizes of Aiptasia.

Nope... doesn't work.  I have a scat in the tank for months now and it ain't touching any aipt at all... it is a silver scat...

29 minutes ago, FOB_Reefy said:

Nope... doesn't work.  I have a scat in the tank for months now and it ain't touching any aipt at all... it is a silver scat...

Need Reds or Greens, Silvers won't work, been there, done that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
watanabeireefer

I had one and I used Kalkawasser with RO water, I put it in a little dixie cup made it really thick and used a syringe. I also turned of all the pumps ten minutes to and left them for for about 15 minutes after. It turned out to very effective and I luckily haven't seen it since. Alsi It was a smaller to medium size one. I would give it a shot, there is nothing to loose, try doing it a few times. 

Happy reefing 🙂

14 hours ago, watanabeireefer said:

I had one and I used Kalkawasser with RO water, I put it in a little dixie cup made it really thick and used a syringe. I also turned of all the pumps ten minutes to and left them for for about 15 minutes after. It turned out to very effective and I luckily haven't seen it since. Alsi It was a smaller to medium size one. I would give it a shot, there is nothing to loose, try doing it a few times. 

Happy reefing 🙂

I used vinegar before and was very effective, but this time it is more than 100s... something is gonna hurts..especially my arm 😁

• 3 weeks later...

If you take the rock out, wait for it to go all flat and small, and cover it with superglue, that'll kill it. Works better with small ones and/or small numbers.

Filefish are probably your best bet. Just accept the zoas getting picked at, or remove the zoas before adding filefish. 

• Like 1