Top Shelf Aquatics

How many invertebrates?

CaptainIchigo79

CaptainIchigo79

I'm planning on a 10 gallon nano reef with some SPS corals and 2 clownfish. I may add one more fish later on if space allows (like a gobie or something). I don't want any snails. What would you recommend for invertebrates? It's an open top rimless tank with a diy HOB refugium.

CaptainIchigo79

Because I have them in my freshwater and I don't like the look. Plus, the tank is rimless so they might crawl out. I'm willing to try one though, if you have a good recommendation. Another reason is that I might get hermits.

11 minutes ago, CaptainIchigo79 said:

Because I have them in my freshwater and I don't like the look. Plus, the tank is rimless so they might crawl out. I'm willing to try one though, if you have a good recommendation. Another reason is that I might get hermits.

I run a variety of snails and hermits as my CuC. In my 2.5G I have

2 Trocus

1 Cerith

1 Turbo

5 algae Hermits

2 Blue legged hermits

1 scarlet legged hermit. 

I didn't mean for as many hermits as I got as I was trying to get cerith snails. So far I have 0 escapes. Spare shells also help the hermits from fighting g each other and the snails

Thrassian Atoll

I too would recommend trochus.  I bought a ton of snails from reefcleaners and I am second guessing that.  The tiny micro cerithes everywhere in my tank is a little unsightly.  I am definitely not going to replace them when they die.  

• Sad 1
21 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

I too would recommend trochus.  I bought a ton of snails from reefcleaners and I am second guessing that.  The tiny micro cerithes everywhere in my tank is a little unsightly.  I am definitely not going to replace them when they die.  

Yup.. been there done that.  Can’t look at your tank through the dwarf ceriths.  Only doing larger snails (trochus + Tongan narcissus) for my new tank.  Well that and my orange chestnut.. I love that snail!  Might get him a girlfriend 😉

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
32 minutes ago, Opotter said:

Yup.. been there done that.  Can’t look at your tank through the dwarf ceriths.  Only doing larger snails (trochus + Tongan narcissus) for my new tank.  Well that and my orange chestnut.. I love that snail!  Might get him a girlfriend 😉

For sure.  With this tank I wanted some decent nutrients and not have low nutrient issues anymore.  I think I went a little overboard with the snails though.  I wanted to make I had enough to eat any algae that grows.

• Like 1
CaptainIchigo79
On 9/23/2019 at 2:21 PM, Ratvan said:

I run a variety of snails and hermits as my CuC. In my 2.5G I have

2 Trocus

1 Cerith

1 Turbo

5 algae Hermits

2 Blue legged hermits

1 scarlet legged hermit. 

I didn't mean for as many hermits as I got as I was trying to get cerith snails. So far I have 0 escapes. Spare shells also help the hermits from fighting g each other and the snails

Hermits and Trocus for sure. Turbo's maybe. I might go for one blue legged hermit and one algae hermit.