Innovative Marine Aquariums

RedCrow's AIO 4.5 Gallon

RedCrow

Do y'all think this looks like a pregnant fish with an extended ovipositor? Or just a fat fish who may or may not be looking for some sexy times with his partner..

DeK9hw8.jpg

I have no idea how small these guy's eggs would be. Watchmen have super tiny eggs, and I imagine they'd be similar to those.

I've been dosing Blue Vet Flux RX for the last 12 days to get rid of bryopsis, and I've gotta say, this stuff works wonders! Most of the bryopsis is gone, and that which remains is wilting away.

uUBuPqp.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, RedCrow said:

I've been dosing Blue Vet Flux RX for the last 12 days to get rid of bryopsis, and I've gotta say, this stuff works wonders! Most of the bryopsis is gone, and that which remains is wilting away.

uUBuPqp.jpg

Just came across this and noticed you were trying Flux Rx.  I have a bunch of bryopsis taking hold on some of my coral plugs and I can't see to get rid of it.  Tried spraying them with some hydrogen peroxide and scrubbing which eliminates it for a few weeks but it always comes back.

Does Flux Rx have good directions to follow?  Did you deviate from them? Which equipment do you turn off during treatment?

Thanks for any help!

2 minutes ago, Butchy21 said:

Does Flux Rx have good directions to follow?  Did you deviate from them? Which equipment do you turn off during treatment?

The directions are so-so, I was able to figure them out lol. I moved my macroalgae out as I’ve read they can be potentially harmed. I’m not running a skimmer, reactors, or any chemical filtration so I can’t speak to the removal of those things. 

I used the recommended dose at first, but after ten days there was some stubborn stalks here and there. I did a large water change and dosed almost double a second time, and the remaining stocks are starting to turn black and curl up. Corals, inverts, and fish are all doing fantastically. 

7 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

The directions are so-so, I was able to figure them out lol. I moved my macroalgae out as I’ve read they can be potentially harmed. I’m not running a skimmer, reactors, or any chemical filtration so I can’t speak to the removal of those things. 

I used the recommended dose at first, but after ten days there was some stubborn stalks here and there. I did a large water change and dosed almost double a second time, and the remaining stocks are starting to turn black and curl up. Corals, inverts, and fish are all doing fantastically. 

Awesome that is good to know.  I have a pretty good mix of corals - few SPS, LPS and softies but what I've read so far are pretty positive outcomes with its use.  Hmm I have some macro algae but only one tank so I'm not sure where I'd put it for several weeks....

2 minutes ago, Butchy21 said:

Awesome that is good to know.  I have a pretty good mix of corals - few SPS, LPS and softies but what I've read so far are pretty positive outcomes with its use.  Hmm I have some macro algae but only one tank so I'm not sure where I'd put it for several weeks....

Mine is sitting in my contest tank right now 😅 What type is it? Chaeto is pretty hardy and would probably survive in a bucket with a heater and a desk lamp 

9 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

Mine is sitting in my contest tank right now 😅 What type is it? Chaeto is pretty hardy and would probably survive in a bucket with a heater and a desk lamp 

Yup - Chaeto.  I could do a bucket near a window or something with a heater.  Cheap to replace if need be.

6 minutes ago, Butchy21 said:

Yup - Chaeto.  I could do a bucket near a window or something with a heater.  Cheap to replace if need be.

Take half out and leave the other half in. If it dies you've got your back up, it it survives, well hey! 

6 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

How’s your sps growth and colour with the kessil A80?

I’ve only had it for a few weeks, previous to that it was an Asta 20. The colors really washed out under the Asta 20, but they’re slowly starting to return under the A80. Ive noticed a lot more growth too, particularly in the pocillapora 

• 2 weeks later...

Today was moving day for the pico. My intention for this tank has always been to have it on my desk at work; today it made it there.

Since I was moving everything, I redid the scape to make it more tailored to the gobies. The original plan had been a SPS dominant reef with a pair of panda gobies, or possible a small group of trimma. Ultimately the tank ended up with a pair of hi fins and a pistol shrimp (obviously), so things weren't completely ideal for these animals. Now thers more open space in front of there burrow entrance for them to sit and graze plankton.

538ov5O.jpg

Some of the SPS are bleaching from the move, namely the birdsnest and pavona. The next coming days will prove if they'll pull through or not.

• Like 3

The birdsnest definitely took a beating, but looks like it'll pull through. decent polyp extension today

KSFNNZr.jpg

I ended up playing with the scape a bit as I wasn't satisfied with the changes I had made. Definitely happier with it now.

bkxAlNQ.jpg

ctvefmX.jpg

tnDr4vS.jpg

sorry for the cell phone pics lol

• Like 4

Picked up a 1/4 inch RFG from VCA, also fashioned a 1/4 loc-line adapter for the 1/2 bulkhead.

NigfSQx.jpg

LhumPRa.jpg

Everything seems to like the new flow patterns, especially the torch

mX4ggDG.jpg

Also I found a frozen guppy in my mysis 😂anyone else ever had this?

U7XQJTG.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
5 hours ago, RedCrow said:

Picked up a 1/4 inch RFG from VCA, also fashioned a 1/4 loc-line adapter for the 1/2 bulkhead.

NigfSQx.jpg

LhumPRa.jpg

mX4ggDG.jpg

U7XQJTG.jpg

Neat little adaptor! What did you use to glue it together?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

Neat little adaptor! What did you use to glue it together?

Frag glue 🤣🤣

I had done a beautiful job sanding the two pieces flat and using clear PVC cement, letting it sit for two hours; the pieces came apart immediately. 🤦🏼‍♂️ So I just reached for the frag glue and it worked lol

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

Frag glue 🤣🤣

I had done a beautiful job sanding the two pieces flat and using clear PVC cement, letting it sit for two hours; the pieces came apart immediately. 🤦🏼‍♂️ So I just reached for the frag glue and it worked lol

Usually the unplanned DIY element is the one that works! I had some 1/2” to single and double 1/4” printed up buy a guy here in the uk, the only problem is with the 1/2” fitting, adaptor and then the nozzle they stick out about 3” in to the tank! May try and copy you on this one........ got lots of frag glue!

• Like 3
10 hours ago, RedCrow said:

NigfSQx.jpg

LhumPRa.jpg

mX4ggDG.jpg

U7XQJTG.jpg

I'm interested in how this RFG will go for you, following along 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I'm interested in how this RFG will go for you, following along 

I have rather a lot of the 1/4” ones and adaptors for 1/2” if anyone in the uk wants one! Got a bulk order printed, so have lots spare. PM if you want some (you will have to just pay the postage).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Five weeks since the move and the gobies still wont come out if someone is near the tank.

Solution? One way film on the glass

USIY9IU.jpg

I'm only leaving this up temporarily to help them further acclimate. TBH I may move these jokers to a different tank in the not-so-distant future.

The female thinks shes hiding in this spot lol

yet5w7z.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Tired said:

Beautiful tank!

If the jokers need to go, a bottle trap will generally get them, and probably the shrimp as well. 

Thank you!
The scape is actually just a single large rock; so if I’ve got to remove them I can just grab it and pick it straight up. They’ll be left in a tank with naught but sand lol

They’re very slowly getting used to life at the office, so fingers crossed they relax fully and can just stay here. Though I am setting up a slightly larger tank at home they can move into if necessary 

• Like 1

How big are they, at the moment? I have a 4.5gal also, with a trimma goby. I want to also add an antenna goby, but I wasn't sure if the bioload would work out. If you have two antenna gobies in the same size tank, though, that makes me think it's doable. Especially with some macros thrown in. 

What, and how much, do you feed them? Or do they just pick off amphipods? 

• Like 1

They’re both full grown. The female is just over two inches and the male is just under two. They like to graze pods, but I also (generously) feed NLS thera A every weekday. They don’t get pellets in the weekend as I’m not at the office then. They’re FAT. The tank also has no mechanical filtration; I’m kind of a fan of the dirty method.

I think in terms of bioload you’d be more than fine. Macros are a good thing to have, as well as a lot of live rock. My refugium is almost completely full of rubble at this point, and I think that makes a big difference. 

One piece of advice if you buy one of these gobies: look for one that’s out and active at the lfs. The first one I had was out and active at the store, and he was out and active in my tank after just a couple days. The pair I have now was hiding at the store. I only found out they had them at all because I saw the tag. Even as long as I’ve had them know they’re super skittish and hide as soon as anyone approaches the tank