RedCrow

RedCrow's AIO 4.5 Gallon

RedCrow

I've been out of the reef game for a bit of time (which was killing me), so I finally decided to set up a pico to satisfy the urge. My goal with this tank is to keep it as low maintenance as possible while still being able to keep some more demanding corals.

I've always liked the appearance of peninsula style tanks, and I really wanted an AIO so I could grow chaeto. I ended up buying a Lifegard Aquatics 3.8 gallon rimless with built in side filter.

eDmISE4.jpg

I wasn't happy with the lack of space behind the false wall (there was only about 2.5"), and the glass was fogged rather than being opaque.

I liked the quality of the tank itself, so I bought a regular rimless tank from them.

7WqhYrM.jpg

Marine Depot lists this tank at 5.4 gallons; it's right around 4.5 gallons with nothing in it.

I bought some black acrylic and built a rear chamber.

VFCtqc8.jpg

xEeDoyk.jpg

E7bHjei.jpg

The rear chamber is split in two; the left side is for chaeto, and the right side has a Finnex titanium heater and an MJ mini.

2HfKEiF.jpg

I wanted the get an A80 for lighting, but wasn't quite ready to spend that much. I found this Chinese light on amazon for 50 bucks

FZ4pznG.jpg

Here is the tank set up with no water

fx3lFSE.jpg

And here it is after getting wet. I also cut some black acrylic to make a cover around the rear chamber.

myc9qAW.jpg

Live rock added

VohseqW.jpg

And here is a full tank shot after the water had cleared. I added a couple zoas, and accidentally got a half a dozen blue leg hermits with the live rock. Now i just have to wait out the cycle.

zaBFGSf.jpg

• Like 3

WV Reefer
35 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

I've been out of the reef game for a bit of time (which was killing me), so I finally decided to set up a pico to satisfy the urge. My goal with this tank is to keep it as low maintenance as possible while still being able to keep some more demanding corals.

I've always liked the appearance of peninsula style tanks, and I really wanted an AIO so I could grow chaeto. I ended up buying a Lifegard Aquatics 3.8 gallon rimless with built in side filter.

eDmISE4.jpg

I wasn't happy with the lack of space behind the false wall (there was only about 2.5"), and the glass was fogged rather than being opaque.

I liked the quality of the tank itself, so I bought a regular rimless tank from them.

7WqhYrM.jpg

Marine Depot lists this tank at 5.4 gallons; it's right around 4.5 gallons with nothing in it.

I bought some black acrylic and built a rear chamber.

VFCtqc8.jpg

xEeDoyk.jpg

E7bHjei.jpg

The rear chamber is split in two; the left side is for chaeto, and the right side has a Finnex titanium heater and an MJ mini.

2HfKEiF.jpg

I wanted the get an A80 for lighting, but wasn't quite ready to spend that much. I found this Chinese light on amazon for 50 bucks

FZ4pznG.jpg

Here is the tank set up with no water

fx3lFSE.jpg

And here it is after getting wet. I also cut some black acrylic to make a cover around the rear chamber.

myc9qAW.jpg

Live rock added

VohseqW.jpg

And here is a full tank shot after the water had cleared. I added a couple zoas, and accidentally got a half a dozen blue leg hermits with the live rock. Now i just have to wait out the cycle.

zaBFGSf.jpg

Welcome to NR! 😊

that tank is adorable!  I have that light also and have been quite happy with it over my pico. 

• Like 2

MetaTank

I have the same light as well, been doing a good job growing my LPS and even some easy SPS

• Like 3

RedCrow

Glad to hear good thing about the light. 

For the fuge I had originally bought this light https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X84LMHK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1, but it was quickly apparent that it wasn't going to cut it for chaeto. I had found this light digging through some old threads here on NR and other forums, but sadly it was discontinued. https://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/31/submersible-refugium-light/. After some digging through, I was able to find virtually the same thing on amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZCCJ1E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the whole thing with the new fuge light in place. There a huge difference in light output

ZrpFfow.jpg

And here's the display doing well

k23pZZE.jpg

• Like 2

RedCrow

The pico cycled quite quickly. Diatom bloom lasted for only a couple days and is now completely gone. The combination of high quality live rock and an over sized fuge has made the process quite painless. The copepod population has exploded over the last week; I scrape them off the glass every morning but there are thousands gathered again by the time I get home in the evening. 

JVtFmS0.jpg

I've added added a few more frags so the current coral stock list is 

Zoanthids:

Incredible Hulk

Radioactive Dragon Eye

Fire and Ice

SPS:

Encrusting Pavona

Monti Cap

Birdsnest (possibly sour apple, too small to tell)

Tricolor Pocillapora

St54Lgq.jpg

• Like 2

WV Reefer
Just now, RedCrow said:

The pico cycled quite quickly. Diatom bloom lasted for only a couple days and is now completely gone. The combination of high quality live rock and an over sized fuge has made the process quite painless. The copepod population has exploded over the last week; I scrape them off the glass every morning but there are thousands gathered again by the time I get home in the evening. 

JVtFmS0.jpg

I've added added a few more frags so the current coral stock list is 

Zoanthids:

Incredible Hulk

Radioactive Dragon Eye

Fire and Ice

SPS:

Encrusting Pavona

Monti Cap

Birdsnest (possibly sour apple, too small to tell)

Tricolor Pocillapora

St54Lgq.jpg

I like the top down view. 

• Like 2