Coral Vue Hydros

Starter tank. Fluval Evo? Please help me get it right :)

sg.sr6858

Hi Folks,

I’ve just joined the site. I’ve kept freshwater fish for about 8 years now but I’ve never kept marines and looking to break into the hobby.

Literally going to need help every step of the way as for some reason even though I’ve read a lot about it, it seems a bit like gibberish to me unlike everything I learnt about the freshwater hobby. Your knowledge will be very gratefully received!

Okay so i am not a DIY person so I will be needed a tank that is an All in One and easy for a beginner. I also don’t have much space. Research so far has led me to a Fluval Evo Sea. I like Fluval as a make. My current freshwater setup is a large Roma and I like it.

Anyone have knowledge of this particular tank? Is it good for a beginner? I hear it comes with the filter, light and foams etc. However it will need a heater and a protein skimmer? (Still don’t really understand this part) but can these fit in the compartment where the rest go without having to clutter the tank?

There’s an online deal for fluval evo at the moment to get the tank for cheaper price. Good price? What will I need to get started? I’d like to have a relatively basic set up. Live rock. Sand. Corals (nothing fancy but those that will do well under the lights existing in the tank) and one fish and a hermit crab. Probably also some kind of algae eating snail crew.

I’d like to get cycling soon as I get it (no animals included obviously) I know how to freshwater cycle but how different is it for salt?

How am I doing so far? Realistic?
Sorry for all the questions but it will be a repetitive feature in this thread!

Really am grateful for any help!

Hi, 

I have an Evo. Like you I also keep FW and this is my first foray into marine tanks.

its a great tank and the light is good enough for soft corals, LPS and some SPS although I upgraded to an AI Prime before buying SPS.

I don’t use a skimmer as I religiously change out 10% water every week although some folks do with good results.  Have a read of this thread,

One thing worth buying down the line is an Intank media basket, worth their expensive weight in gold! 

If you buy a heater, buy a shorter one and it will fit into the equipment area.  I have nothing but a powerhead in my tank.  It’s a very clean look.

Cycling the tank tank is the same with SW, although you can’t use ammonia if you purchase live rock due to bacteria die off.

Sorry don’t know why I linked it twice!

Hi I have started with this tank and it is a great beginner nano tank. You can see it on the Fluval Evo thread or this is the link:

You can also see the pics there.   As far as the stock lights go they are OK but you will eventually want to get a better light such as the AI prime HD.   I used the stock lights for the first 9-10 months of my taking over the tank from another guy, and the Corals did well except for some SPS Corals.  Don’t use the stock foam filter that comes with it. It’s just a nitrate factory. It’s best to get an aftermarket media basket such as the Intank line which I use on my first chamber.  In case you don’t know what chambers are there are three chambers on the side of the tank to put in your media filters, return pump, skimmers, etc. I explain how I set mine up in the link I showed you above. 

I too had a freshwater tank when I was younger and saltwater tanks are far different and very much more rewarding in my opinion. Husbandry is extremely important in salt water tanks since they are less forgiving than freshwater. Best advice I can give you on husbandry is never compromise and or get lazy. 

Start with only a few corals and 1 to 2 fish and a small cleanup crew. Don’t go overboard with anything and like other people have said go low and slow. In other words go lower than the amount needed whenever it requires something such is how much to add in the tank and never go fast with anything you do to any changes. Go slowly!

Good luck!