Pod Your Reef

The SEA-cret garden - starting a 40g breeder

MoJal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

?So I'm thinking of getting a firefish, but I understand that they're big jumpers. My lid doesnt meet the back of the tank, leaving a gap of maybe two inches. How do you guys recommend closing the gap?

IMG_20200623_113018494.jpg

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, MoJal said:

Uhoh. What's this? Found today on a montipora I added a few days ago. 

IMG_20200630_141416949.jpg

IMG_20200630_140151958.jpg

IMG_20200630_141433531.jpg

NVM, nobody panic. Didn't take much digging to figure out this is an amphipod. 🤣 It's much bigger than any pods I had seen in the tank previously, so seeing it coming off my new coral was pretty stressful. 😳

• Like 2

The montipora bleached out, unfortunately. 😩 Guess it's too bright in my tank for it. Tried moving it into a shadow and turning down the lights, but woke up this morning and it's all white, so I guess I was too late. 

IMG_20200706_140156260.jpg

2 hours ago, MoJal said:

The montipora bleached out, unfortunately. 😩 Guess it's too bright in my tank for it. Tried moving it into a shadow and turning down the lights, but woke up this morning and it's all white, so I guess I was too late. 

IMG_20200706_140156260.jpg

That sucks. I'd leave it there, I've bleach a couple of my montipora, moved them out of the light and they slowly came back after a couple weeks.

In fact I was just looking at a Jedi mind trick Monti I thought for sure was gone. After moving it out of the a hotspot several weeks later it's coming back. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
On 7/6/2020 at 4:48 PM, 5*Chris said:

That sucks. I'd leave it there, I've bleach a couple of my montipora, moved them out of the light and they slowly came back after a couple weeks.

In fact I was just looking at a Jedi mind trick Monti I thought for sure was gone. After moving it out of the a hotspot several weeks later it's coming back. 

Oh, that's fantastic. I thought once they were white there was no hope. I'll leave it be and see if anything comes of it. Thanks. 

The tank still isn't much to look at compared to the TOTM tanks, but I'm still quite pleased by our snail-paced progress. Spend so much time watching it and attempting to photograph it. Going to have to work on my photography skills. 🤔 

IMG_20200709_161954299_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200709_161831568.jpg

IMG_20200709_161819202.jpg

IMG_20200709_161800005.jpg

IMG_20200709_161810936.jpg

• Like 1

I'm really not sure what kind of algae that is, at first I thought it might be byropsis, but now I'm just stumped. I like the green striped hermit though, those suckers get pretty big, unless its' coppery-brown legged in which case it's a slightly-smaller species which may eat other crabs and snails sometimes.

14 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I'm really not sure what kind of algae that is, at first I thought it might be byropsis, but now I'm just stumped. I like the green striped hermit though, those suckers get pretty big, unless its' coppery-brown legged in which case it's a slightly-smaller species which may eat other crabs and snails sometimes.

I'm inclined to think it's bryopsis based on what I've looked up online, but also not sure. It grows on the rocks and on the sand, and can be pulled out by the tufts, though of course can't really get it all out that way. Have been hesitant to treat the tank with anything so have just been pulling out what I can at water changes. Here's a better pic. I got a tuxedo urchin hoping he would eat it (and cause I just wanted one). I think he is doing some work on it, but also has picked up some and is carrying it around the tank so that plan may do more harm than good. 

IMG_20200709_200653343.jpg

2 minutes ago, MoJal said:

I'm inclined to think it's bryopsis based on what I've looked up online, but also not sure. It grows on the rocks and on the sand, and can be pulled out by the tufts, though of course can't really get it all out that way. Have been hesitant to treat the tank with anything so have just been pulling out what I can at water changes. Here's a better pic. I got a tuxedo urchin hoping he would eat it (and cause I just wanted one). I think he is doing some work on it, but also has picked up some and is carrying it around the tank so that plan may do more harm than good. 

IMG_20200709_200653343.jpg

Yeah, Bryopsis looks like little underwater ferns, it's actually quite beautiful. That looks like some kind of tufty algae that I'm not familiar with.

Elizabeth94

Fwiw, looks like normal hair algae judging from the latest picture. Im fighting some too after my refugium light gave out on me. Stinks but no biggie. I have a tuxedo urchin also but he won’t touch the long stuff. Gotta pluck it out by hand. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well whatever my mystery-algae was, my tuxedo has earned his keep and eliminated it. Just have a but of nice tufty green hair algae now that he's been working at and I will be helping him with tomorrow at water change. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting coralline started? Is there some target parameters specific to corraline that I should shoot for? I ran into an old thread discussing whether using LEDs only hampered coralline growth, but the commenters were pretty mixed on whether that was true or not. Everything else I've read seems to believe that it will just make its way into the tank in due time but I have not one speck of purple on my rocks. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My musings for the day: why aren't potential lifespans listed in care sheets for aquarium pets? Generally you have to dig for this info, if you can find it at all. Am I the only one that wants to factor in whether I'm buying a two year commitment v a ten year or longer commitment? It would also help hobbyists know if they're taking adequate care of the species, i.e. if it is a fish that generally lives ten years in captivity and it's kicked the bucket after just a couple years, then you'll know to look for a problem instead of just being like oops, I guess it was old. 

41 minutes ago, MoJal said:

My musings for the day: why aren't potential lifespans listed in care sheets for aquarium pets? Generally you have to dig for this info, if you can find it at all. Am I the only one that wants to factor in whether I'm buying a two year commitment v a ten year or longer commitment? It would also help hobbyists know if they're taking adequate care of the species, i.e. if it is a fish that generally lives ten years in captivity and it's kicked the bucket after just a couple years, then you'll know to look for a problem instead of just being like oops, I guess it was old. 

I'm there with you, it takes quite a while to find the information, if you have a specific animal in mind I may have already done the homework for you.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hey, it's my tank-iversary! Honestly was hoping to have rounded up more corals by now, but I haven't been able to get to the store, and I'm not sure I trust the online shops. 😩 On the plus side we have zero algae issues these days!

IMG_20200921_202810748_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...