Cultivated Reef

The SEA-cret garden - starting a 40g breeder

MoJal

I don't think you need that much surface agitation, especially with a cannister filter.  I don't think it'll harm anything but I think it's unnecessary.

Though, truthfully I think it only truly matters on what kind of coral you keep.

15 hours ago, Coastie said:

I don't think you need that much surface agitation, especially with a cannister filter.  I don't think it'll harm anything but I think it's unnecessary.

Though, truthfully I think it only truly matters on what kind of coral you keep.

Gotcha. Maybe I'll relocate them at the next water change. The canister is off right now though, because last time I opened it I couldn't get it sealed back and it kept leaking so I just left it off. I'm planning to ditch it altogether, my stand is a pain to get in and out of, so it's just not practical to try and work in it with the cannister.

Holy hell. My tank caught the uglies overnight. 😬 The pics don't do it justice but there's brown stringy gunk with bubbles all over the rocks and brown stuff on the sand and walls. Guess we're doing a water change today and cutting down the light time. Any other suggestions?IMG_20200312_155708268.thumb.jpg.c85dd3036d5d0d60210b6c421d9d2a4b.jpg

IMG_20200312_155748819.jpg

IMG_20200312_155732729.jpg

Could be dinos or calothrx, or other types of oddball-cyano. Could also just be new tank uglies, you could get some of it out with a baster and mix it up in a cup, stick it under the light in a windsill and see if it congeals back-together. If it does it's dinos, but in a new thank that might not really matter if you bring your nitrate and phosphates levels up as it'll likely just vanish as quick as it came.

I've been feeding frozen more often and am probably over doing it, so that may be the culprit. Here's my nitrate test today. I didn't get around to doing a water change yesterday because I have the flu, but it's def on the agenda for today. 

IMG_20200313_100938016.jpg

• Wow 1

Pulled a ton of it off the rocks yesterday and did a 40%ish water change. It's back today, but not nearly to the same degree. I had some of it set aside to see if it would reform but the husband dumped it without realizing it was a science experiment. 🤣 Going to test the water later today and see how we're doing on nitrates. Looks like this guy is helping pull it up now, but there's still way too much for him to do on his own. 

IMG_20200314_142016807.jpg

• Like 1
On 3/12/2020 at 6:42 PM, Coastie said:

Those are probably low flow spots.

And an over abundance of nutrients.  Might be feeding a bit heavy.

Does this look better for powerhead placement? 🤔 I really don't have a clue where to put them. Thinking about getting one more to either put in the middle or have on the side wall going across the front of the tank.

IMG_20200314_142450721.jpg

I have concerns that this is Dinos... The longer the lights have been on the worse it's gotten. I'm thinking lack of biodiversity might be part of the issue as we really have mostly haven't had much algea or Coraline. 🤔 

Coraline is usually comes with a well established tank.

I'd put your powerheads on the sides and aim them at the rockwork. If you don't have anything breaking the surface, you might add a "Hang on Back" type of filter.  The aquaclears can be modded as a refugium pretty easily. 

• Like 1
On 3/15/2020 at 9:54 PM, Coastie said:

I'd put your powerheads on the sides and aim them at the rockwork. If you don't have anything breaking the surface, you might add a "Hang on Back" type of filter.  The aquaclears can be modded as a refugium pretty easily. 

Thanks for the tips. I officially hate cannisters filters.  Just spent a bit wrestling with mine and all that's happened is I am damp and cranky. It probably just needs a new rubber thingy for the top, but I'm deeply considering just chucking in the trash because of how difficult it is to get to and service. The brown gunk is still looking nasty. About to do some tests. Probably a water change. On the plus side, these little ones don't seem to mind. 

15844732415074139138624220473067.jpg

15844732600525941154547413385016.jpg

On 3/15/2020 at 9:54 PM, Coastie said:

I'm looking into the aquaclears as we speak. That may be the route to go. Was also considering getting some black acrylic and partitioning off part of the tank to use as a refugium. Like a diy AIO. Any thoughts on that? 🤔

Well, since your tank is wet, the options are a bit reduced.  That said, you still have options.....  In no particular order (also, there are plenty of other options out there).

Option 1: get an aquaclear.  InTank (I believe they're a sponsor) makes awesome media baskets for them, or you can DIY one, there should be google-able (does Miriam or Webster consider this a word yet?) Instructions on the DIY route.

Option 2:  Drain out some water and drill it for an overflow (though risky) but sumps are the best!!!!! you get to hide the ugly stuff in them.

Option 3, go to Petco ($50 right now) and buy another 40B to drill/convert/etc, then transfer contents.

Option 4: install one of these, https://www.ebay.com/itm/123471491093

Option 5: install one of these (when they become available) 

https://www.fijicubesupply.com/product-p/ib-40.htm

Option 6: you could install a HOB overflow, thought they scare me.

• Like 1

Been scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush several times today and scooping out what I can, so it's not quite as unsightly as it was, but still not pretty. 😭

IMG_20200318_204256052.jpg

IMG_20200318_204250946.jpg

IMG_20200318_204150967.jpg

IMG_20200318_204337377.jpg

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Coastie said:

What light do you have?  Tank is coming along, don't be discouraged it can get better..

Viparspectra 300w aquarium light. The issues started shortly after I got the light. So im hoping it's just new tank uglies that have finally popped up. 

The gunk gets worse with the lights on and makes bubbles. Only had my whites on for a couple of hours and it started showing up, so I swapped to blues only turned waaay down and that seemed to slow them down.

IMG_20200319_194927756.jpg

6 hours ago, Coastie said:

Did you mention where you get your water from?  You may be over feeding your fish too.  

My own filtered ro/di water and instant ocean purple lid salt. 

My nitrates I've gotten to a steady 5ppm. With the lights down low and daily (or more) rock scrubbing, it was still cropping up a lot. Based on my reading and looking through pics, it looks to be dinos. We're on day 2 of a blackout. And I've ordered a cheap hob and some carbon cause the tank smells a little strange. 🤔