ReefCleaners.org

Aquaforest salt

FOB_Reefy

Initially i used reef crystal for my tank, but ever since switching to aquaforest salt, all my corals don't seem to be too happy and wither away a bit.  Any one have any idea, could it be salt related.

If you changed something, and everything has been unhappy since then, you should change back. 

You should also make sure your salt is mixed properly, as in the mixture itself in the bag. I've recently learned that salt mixes can settle, so you'll have different amounts of things in different parts of the bag. 

Which aquaforest salt, they have 3.

It's not to be mixed for more than 4hrs, there are specific instructions for this salt.

If you did a large waterchange and the params are different, that would account for the coral distress.

When switching salts, it's best to do smaller waterchanges so that parameters don't have large fluctuations.

I used the Aquaforest Reef Salt and the params were fairly low alk around 7. The salt was nice but I like my alk around 8- 8.5. 

The probiotic aquaforest has higher params, and the other salt is for fish only.

9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

It's not to be mixed for more than 4hrs, there are specific instructions for this salt.

If you did a large waterchange and the params are different, that would account for the coral distress.

When switching salts, it's best to do smaller waterchanges so that parameters don't have large fluctuations.

I used the Aquaforest Reef Salt and the params were fairly low alk around 7. The salt was nice but I like my alk around 8- 8.5. 

The probiotic aquaforest has higher params, and the other salt is for fish only.

I've been using the Sea Salt version. It can be used for soft corals as well. It says it should be used within 5 days of dissolving although since I am apparently not very good at directions I have definitely let it sit longer than that lol (don't be like me).  I like that it dissolves easily and well and that's why I switched from IO which I was using before.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:15 PM, Clown79 said:

Oh... didn't know that there are mixing instruction for particular salt.  Fish only salt??? never realized that... Dang.. I have to check on which kind now.  Thanks.

• Like 1